Ignite

We walked down the street with a few cans we'd taken from the party, drinking along the way. I zoned out for most of the walk until we finally arrived at the beach and my first instinct was to do exactly what I'd been thinking about - plant myself firmly on the sand and stare into the dark starry abyss. However, Malia was quick to grab my hand and pull me away from the depressive surface.

"Let's go girl, we ain't dropping the energy just yet. Funs not over, right?" She smirked, using my own words against me as I groaned, holding back a smile that impulsively grew in response to her enthusiasm.

"What are you planning?" I huffed as she continued to tug me behind her, getting further away from her friends who did decide to sit down. "Why do they get to sit?!"

"This isn't about them, baby!" She laughed, and I felt my heart skip a beat. "When something shitty happens I like to stand on stuff and yell." I stopped in my tracks at her words, almost tripping as she unknowingly tried to keep pulling me along.

"What are you talking about?" I giggled, seeing her grab my wrist with both hands and pull with pure determination in her amused eyes.

"Come on, just trust me." She insisted, and I gave in, watching her face as she walked backwards momentarily before she turned around again and intertwined our fingers. Despite the concept of trust being something that had kind of worked against me today, something about her made me know it wouldn't be the same.
We ended up climbing a rocky surface, rising up higher and higher as we went until we were at the highest point of what looked like a miniature rocky mountain. Looking down, it was similar to a cliffs edge but not as... intense. Something about it was calming; the subtle waves washing over the rocks beneath us, the gentle clouds floating in front of the stars above us. Malia was stood by my side.

"You doing alright?" Her voice broke me out of my thoughts and I snapped back to reality, realising I'd just been staring into the distance. "You look kind of spaced out."

"A little." I chuckled slightly, tucking a braid behind my ear. "I was just thinking..."

"...About him?" She asked carefully, and I furrowed my eyebrows softly. My eyes scanned her face and I softly shook my head.

"Not really, actually, no." I frowned, crossing my arms and holding myself almost protectively. "Not at all... is that weird?"

"I don't think it's weird - if it's upsetting I won't mention it, I understand."

"That's the thing though, it's not - I'm not upset." I saw slight confusion on her face as the words left my lips and I understood why because I felt the same. I hadn't really considered my words before I said them but as they hung in the air between us, I knew them to be true. "You still haven't told me why we're up here." I changed the subject, cocking my head at Malia and seeing her expression transform into a smile.

"Watch carefully." She smirked before turning away from me. She took in a deep breath and closers her eyes, head turned towards the sky as if she was powering up... then she threw her arms out on either side of her and yelled at the top of her lungs: "WHEN I WAS A KID I ACCIDENTALLY STOLE MY SISTERS JELL-O SHOTS THAT SHE MADE FOR A HOUSE PARTY AND SHE BLAMED HER FRIEND AND THEY STARTED FIGHTING BECAUSE OF IT!" She was almost out of breath by the end of the exclamation and I impulsively began to laugh, shocked and entertained by her abrupt confession. She let out a huge sigh after the outburst and looked at me with a grin. "My mum found me passed out in the bathroom after that." She giggled breathlessly, running a hand through her hair. "She had to wait until the next day to tell my sister that it was actually the nine year old who took all the shots because if she found out that day I'd have been dead." The two of us began to laugh even harder. "I almost ruined her fucking friendship because I was a stupid kid who saw jelly and thought, yeah, that looks tasty." She doubled over in laughter as I felt the blood rush to my face.