Back to the Present

"The 'backway' you tried getting us through turned out to be a disaster," Xander says.

"I had no idea Dad was having an exercise that day!" Shard says.

"He had a bazooka! I had no idea you had those and I thought he was gonna blow all three of us sky high. And if he didn't, the hundred others with him just about did," Xander says.

"I'm so glad I don't remember that," Angel says.

Laughter erupts in the room. It's the biggest change in mood from the angry, distraught words from everyone accompanied by Angel's many tears.

No laughter comes from Octavia, however. Her emotions and reactions have remained stagnant since Angel started speaking. She's been taking in everything.

Her mom and dad (supposedly) tried to kill Aurora.

Yoo Dae-jun is Shard's father.

Somewhere the Chromies have rockets.

At this point, Octavia retains the information, but it doesn't register or make her react. She feels like an indifferent, emotionless book having a story written into it. The words are there but on dead pages. In the margin of those pages, Mindy's warning is repeatedly scribbled.

"But once everything calmed down, we managed to explain everything to Yoo," Xander says.

"And Dad was more than happy to take Xander in and start this elaborate plan to use you and Angel as the biggest proof of the government's corruption," Shard says. "After he acted like he wanted to throw me out a window and pop a few caps in my booty for bringing a Rhinehart to HB." Shard scratches the back of his head.

"Why did you wait so long to get me if all of this is true? Why keep this from me for so long? Why wait so long to reunite me with my sister?" These are the first words Octavia says since everyone went on their stories. Her words are very much direct at Xander, but she makes sure to send a few glares at Shard.

Xander averts his to the ground. Shard's eyes go dark and distant. Angel is the one to speak.

"You finally believe it's me, Tay?" Hope rides in her words.

"I don't know," Octavia says. "But that doesn't answer my question. Why wait years to drag me into this if that was 'the plan'?"

Shard and Xander keep their silence.

"We did try to get you earlier," Angel says.

Shard walks over to the window. He stares out it. Raul doesn't touch him but goes to stand next to him.

The lightening air sinks once more.

"The day Yoo was assassinated was the day he and others planned to take you and bring you back here," Angel says, "but even though they knew info on the mission was leaked to the gov by traitors, the first round of Tarnished, they went through with it because they didn't want to delay getting you any longer or miss the opportunity to."

Shard slams his fists on the window bars. They rattle. "I thought ripping that lead bastard's throat out would end those traitors and scare off the rest of his bitches but Sal fuckin' brought them all back to screw more shit up!" Shard kicks a small hole in the cement wall. "Dad and them dying wasn't even worth it!"

Octavia recoils in fear. Angel does the same. Xander sits straighter and alert.

"Shard, chill," Hatchette tells him. "Don't lose your temper. Especially now." She glances at Octavia and Angel. "If ya need to step out, step out."

Shard shakes his head. "I'll be fine." His tone isn't convincing. The red flashing in his eyes does nothing to convince, either.

Angel continues but constantly spares glances at Shard. "The Tarnished screwed things up and the idea of bringing you in was almost completely given up, but Xander and I were relentless. It was still almost abandoned until the party came up. The plan to abduct everyone was still there but it was unexpected for you to be there since you didn't make any posts about it."