Interview Struggle Pt. 1

Tam snatches the tray from the person bringing it and throws Octavia's food on the floor like she has been for the past few days.

Despite her lack of trust in Shard, his argument was believable. Having a touch of hope she could make it out of this place alive has replaced all the fear she had for Tam. And these past few days have instilled a new disdain for Tam in Octavia.

Whatever mashed food was on the tray lands on the floor too close to Tam for Octavia's comfort.

"The matter, Rhinehart?" Tam's words are sharp. "Don't wanna eat again? Am I gonna have to help you? Shard told me in our meeting to make sure you eat. I'm not gonna let him down again."

Octavia inches her way over to the mash and hovers above it. The smell is odd, like old milk mixed with butter and broccoli, but she's not sure if it's because of the original ingredients or the added ingredient of floor funk.

"It would be nice to eat it with one of these wouldn't it?" Tam twirls a fork she took off the the tray around in her fingers. "It's a potential weapon that I don't trust you with. Though, you can try taking it from me if you like."

The fork stops twirling. It's gripped in Tam's fist with the prongs pointed towards Octavia.

After debating, Octavia figures to eat with her fingers and not eat the food off the floor like a dog. Her cheeks flush as she kneels on the floor and scoops the mash with her fingers. It tastes like it smells with an added moist, mushy texture.

Tam snarls above her.

"Tam," Marque says. "Be careful. I don't want you pushing it and getting in it deep with Shard."

"I'm not going against what he said, am I?" Tam says. She glances to the side. "Even if it's the bare minimum."

"I know you hate her. I do, too, but chill it," Marque tells her. "I didn't say anything the first couple days 'cuz I get it but it's risky now. Push it for too long and he'll figure it out. He caught you with the water last time. Mash on the floor isn't easy to cover up."

"No it's not."

Tam, Marque, and Octavia all jump at Shard's words.

He laughs. "Three for one? Score! But the two of you need to stay more alert."

"Yes, sir," Tam and Marque say.

"So sweet of you to be looking out for your fellow guard." Shard pats Marque on the head with his free hand.

Marque's squishing face tells how he's suppressing his irritation.

"And Tam needs to stop terrorizing my intellectually inept companion," Shard says.

Octavia squints and scowls.

"Well you don't like me calling you my friend." Shard sniffles. "How hurtful. Anyway, I guess it's a good thing I brought some snacks for this interview viewing."

He hugs a bowl of popcorn in one arm. In his fingers dangles a blue bag. Entering the cell, he tosses the blue bag to Octavia. She catches it without spilling its contents.

Shard gasps. "You caught it! And didn't use your face this time! I'm so proud of you."

He goes to pinch her cheek, but Octavia smacks his hand away. She opens the bag.

"Sugar snap peas," Shard says. "In the exchange that went down the other day, we got some. They're going great with our Eco-terrace."

"Who went home?" Octavia asks.

"Gracie," Shard says. Settling on the top bunk, he turns the TV on. "Left on NetNews. Wonder who did that."

Octavia rolls her eyes.