Rhinehart Update

Gen. Rhinehart paces back and forth. Despite the cramps, she forces herself to walk. PM Rhinehart has since stopped his protests of her not sitting still or resting. He sits on the couch in the livingroom, pretending to read articles projected from his watch to distract himself while they wait for the notification.

"At least she's marching around in the carpeting," PM Rhinehart mumbles quiet enough for Gen. Rhinehart not to hear.

A chink and buzz sound from the tablet on the coffee table. They rush to it.

Gen. Rhinehart picks it up. PM Rhinehart looks over her shoulder.

The screen lights with:

NEW MESSAGE FROM Safe Haven Medical Center

Subject: Appointment Followup

Both exchange heavy breaths and intense eyes before Gen. Rhinehart swipes to open it.

A green check lights the screen. Underneath it says: "Face Recognized". A PIN pad replaces the check and text.

Gen. Rhinehart's finger slaps numbers on the pad. The pad shakes. Above it says: "Incorrect PIN".

Gen. Rhinehart goes to slap the numbers in again when PM Rhinehart catches her hand.

"You're shaking too much," he says.

He types the numbers correctly in for her.

The PIN pad fades into the message:

From: Safe Haven Medical Center

To: General Min Rhinehart; Prime Minister Gregory Rhinehart

General Rhinehart and Prime Minister Rhinehart,

We send our sincerest apologies for the late response. After receiving the results from the multiple tests conducted, we triple checked them to ensure their accuracy. With our sincerest condolences, we regret to inform you that -

Gen. Rhinehart slams the tablet back on the table. An audible crack sounds from either the tablet or new table.

Gen. Rhinehart's arms cross across her body. She hugs her hips until the hug becomes a tight, trembling grip. Her fingers dig deep into her skin. There will be bruises there tomorrow. She squats on the ground.

"We failed, again," she whispers. "I failed us, again."

PM Rhinehart kneels behind her. He wraps his arms around his wife. Slowly and carefully, he pries her fingers off her hips. His hands slip between hers and her hips. This will result in his own hands bruising but he can manage it better than what could happen if she hurts herself too much.

Resting his chin on her shoulder, he whispers in her ear, "We haven't failed completely yet. We still have a sliver of hope. Don't give up yet. It's about time we try getting her home, anyway."