Incognito

Chapter 36

Imperial Concubine Wei
Capital

"I have always wondered about this." Yuwen Hong casually walked, leading the way, not hurried to get to wherever they were going to. "Why? Why did you run away at the borderlands?"

His hand brushed hers and she wondered if this was a signal to hold hands.

"I didn't run away." Li Lian observed the Capital bridge they were approaching. The same one she was on when she burned the fire explosives for Yuwen Hong.

"Well, when I woke up you were gone."

Blame Mistress Ki. Bloody woman. "It's because they took me away."

Yuwen Hong abruptly stopped. "Took you away? Who dared?"

"I was raised by my clan in the hopes that I would enter the palace at the right age. Of course, I was against it and that is why I ran away. I just wanted to live a normal life and not be chained to responsibility and obligation. So on the day I ran away, I so happened to meet you in the forest."

Yuwen Hong nodded in contemplation. "That's why you asked me to marry you?"

"I didn't know you were the same person I would have to marry. In my perspective you were a normal guy who could give me the freedom I needed. You looked to be reckless, and a wanderer, thus I thought if I married you, you would be the type of husband who would be gone half the time."

He laughed. "Reckless wanderer? Sounds like Oren, not me."

"Oren?"

"You will meet him someday. He is my swordmaster. Remember?" Yu'er continued to walk. This was the second time he was promising to introduce this person. Must be special. "The only concern I have is that he is perverted. I will make sure to let him know you are off limits."

Li Lian giggled. "Now we know where you learnt it from. As the teacher goes, the student follows."

"Trust me. We have nothing in common. He is a peculiar person. Who obtains someone's heart and disappears, not bothering to come back and check on me?"

"You have no idea where he is?"

"Nothing. Oren is as the wind, untraceable to people who don't know him and never got to sit as his student. That's why I am taking it upon myself to search for him."

"Is that what we are doing today? I like adventures."

"That, amongst other things."

Li Lian was surprised to see the once glorious bridge that people visited for views and leisure filled with a cacophony of sellers. Each to their own, they had their small stalls stationed to sell different kinds of goods. Some specialised in selling food, others accessories and so on.

A look at Yuwen Hong, and she knew this was not his idea, neither was he aware of it until now. She entwined her hands around his one arm. "I think this is good and profitable for the empire," she lied to calm him down.

But he didn't hear her, already raptured away by his anger. He proceeded toward the first stall. "Uncle, are you having a good day?"

The stall owner smiled the best he could, happy about the potential customer. "How can I help you? I have any kind of snack you would like."

"No, I did not come for that. I am a merchant and I wanted to know how I could get permission to set my stall here."

"It's very easy. Part with a few silvers every time you want to use this bridge and the government will look the other side."