Chapter 27: This Can't Happen Again

Start from the beginning

The elevator doors 'ding' and Xiao Zhan stepped onto the OR floor. Each step felt like he was treading through quicksand. They were heavyweights that were holding him down, but the emergent desire towards a goal pulled him through. Once he reached the primary entrance, the status board showed only one occupied room. Yibo.

Asides from the receptionist, no other souls were present. If the staff didn't acknowledge his presence, Xiao Zhan would have continued to convince himself that this was a dream: a nightmare.

But no, another human noticed. He was truly here, and Yibo was really ... really...What else was Xiao Zhan supposed to do? He drove all the way here, ran to this spot, and this was the closest he can get to Yibo. He couldn't even see the man, hear his voice, or feel his presence. On the other side of this door, Xiao Zhan did not know about what was happening. Like in the past. Will history repeat itself and Xiao Zhan will lose the opportunity to say any last words?

Without making a single sound, Xiao Zhan lifelessly sat down and waited. The receptionist recognized Xiao Zhan but discerned the defeated look that he displayed. It was a common expression from those who were waiting while their loved one was fighting through life and death. She sympathized with Xiao Zhan and understood that silence was necessary.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Goes the clock.

Swish. Swish. Swish. Moved the custodian and his mop.

Click. Click. Click. Sounded the receptionist's keyboard.

Thumb. Thumb. Thumb. Cried Xiao Zhan's heart.

Was time even moving or was Xiao Zhan trapped in a frozen state.

"...Zha..."

At least he knew he was still alive. His heart was beating loud enough to revive the dead.

"...ao Zhan..."

His head was feeling heavy. Was he going to pass out in his hospital?

"Zhan-ge!" A hand pulled him back to the land of the living.

Xiao Zhan first heard a familiar voice that tickled his heart; then felt the warmth from a large, comforting hand. Please. Please be You. Xiao Zhan's eyes blurred with burning tears as he stared into a pair of eyes that meant the world to him.

Thank God. Xiao Zhan collapsed into a pair of arms that provided more comfort than he could ever dream of or deserved.

"Zhan-ge," Yibo whispered.

"Just," Xiao clutched onto Yibo's shirt and took a slow inhale, "a few minutes."

With several inhales and exhales, Yibo felt Xiao Zhan's tension slowly eased away. Sensing that the atmosphere was more tranquil, Yibo tried to speak again. "Zhan-ge."

Still not ready to let go of Yibo, Xiao Zhan replied with his face nuzzled in Yibo's chest. "I thought you were in there," Xiao Zhan's throat tightened. "I thought..."

Yibo had an inkling of what was going on when he noticed how devastated Xiao Zhan appeared to be. Yibo wanted to smack his own head for not trying to contact Xiao Zhan in the past few hours. How stupid of him to hope that he could hide this incident and not worry his Zhan-ge when he was being treated at the man's hospital. His stomach churned at the thought of how startled Xiao Zhan must have been to hear the news from someone else. He must have been terrified to speculate that Yibo was injured enough to be in the OR. Damn it Wang Yibo!