Chapter 5: The Fear of Loving

***This is my first novel so comments and critiques are welcomes (as long as they are civilized). Of course, a simple 'star' does the job too :3. 

An hour before Xiao Zhan's shift ended, he visited Yibo like he mentioned earlier that day. When he walked in, he noticed that Ji Li was present.

"Hello, Dr. Xiao."

"Hello, am I interrupting?"

"No, no. You're fine, his health comes first," Ji Li replied.

"Yibo, any changes since this morning," Xiao Zhan inquired.

As the two men interacted, Ji Li couldn't control his growing interest in their evolving relationship. Unless there was a time skip, Ji Li believed this was only the third day that the two have met (less than two since Yibo first lays eyes on Dr. Xiao) yet Xiao Zhan was already calling Yibo by his given name. It was a fairly common thing in the entertainment industry for people to refer to Yibo in that way, but Dr. Zhuo Cheng still called him 'Mr. Wang'. Also, why do their gazes seem to hold deeper meanings? Are those smiles that I see from them, from Wang Yibo?! If Ji Li didn't want to hide his third-wheeling presence, he would have smacked the file he was holding on his leg and exclaimed: "What is this development!"

Once Ji Li retrieved his senses, Xiao Zhan has finished his check-up. "Is there anything that you need before I leave?"

"Yes," Yibo paused and slowly lifted his lips, "Since you're calling me Yibo, can I call you Xiao Zhan... Zhan-ge?"

Both Xiao Zhan and Ji Li couldn't control their surprise expressions. What is this development??!!

Xiao Zhan was truly at a loss for words. How did this happen? What is happening? Since he didn't have any reason to decline Yibo's request, he simply agreed. Today will go in Xiao Zhan's memory as the first of many times in which he has to give into Yibo's crazy demands.

As for Ji Li, he was currently petrified from shock but was also excited to gossip with Hai Kuan later on.

~~~~~

After separating from Yibo, Xiao Zhan's mind was in a constant whirlwind. Before he realized it, he was already at the Cao's residence with no memories of going home to change or driving from one location to the next. Shaking his head in hope to throw away those unnecessary thoughts, Xiao Zhan stepped out of the car.

"A-Zhan," Xuan Lu opened the front door when she saw Xiao Zhan's car entering their driveway.

Xiao Zhan smiled and hugged his beloved Jie-jie. "How have you been?"

Xuan Lu lightly slapped his arm, "How do you think I feel when a certain brother doesn't visit me for a month?"

"Sorry Jiejie, it's been busy lately," Xiao Zhan replied in guilt. "I brought your favorite cakes." He raised up two boxes as bribery.

Xuan Lu shook her head but grabbed both boxes anyway. Of course, Xiao Zhan knew that Xuan Lu was only teasing him since she was a very gentle and understanding person. It also helped that he knew exactly what she loves to bring the perfect bribe.

"Uncle Xiao," Pei Xin greeted Xiao Zhan when he entered the living room.

"You boys wait a little bit, dinner is almost ready. A-Zhan, I'm making lotus rib soup tonight."

Making sure that his Mother was out of the room, Pei Xin whispered to Xiao Zhan, "The last time she made it was when you and Uncle Zhuo stopped by."

"Of course, it's something Jiejie has made for us since she learned how to cook. Where's your Dad?"

"He's showering right now."