Chapter 20: School Festival - Part III

"A-Cheng, A-Xiang," Zan Jin called out when he saw the children and Yizhan

"Dad," the two boys ran into Zan Jin's embrace.

"Brother-in-law," Yibo greeted. "What's the situation?"

"Come, Hai Kuan can tell you more about it. Seems like one of the performers couldn't make it tonight."

Once the group of males entered the backstage lounge, they spotted Hai Kuan in the corner, surrounded by a group of people with portable mics and headphones. Zan Jin walked over to inform Hai Kuan that Yibo has arrived, causing everyone to turn their heads and greet Yibo. Hai Kuan made a few more comments and dispersed the meeting.

"Yibo."

"Ge-ge."

"Dr. Xiao, it's been a while."

"Good to see you again and 'Xiao Zhan' is fine. We're not at the hospital so no need for formalities," Xiao Zhan finalized the greetings.

Hai Kuan nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"What's the situation," Yibo asked for the third time without any sign of impatience considering that no one has given him an answer.

Hai Kuan took a shallow breath and pondered on how he should answer Yibo. "Before the performance, all performers had the chance to enjoy the festival. One member of a duet group," Hai Kuan paused for the next words were hard to say, "choked on a chicken leg," everyone glanced at Guo Cheng, "toppled over on a nearby stall, and caused a pot of hot broth to spill on his leg."

There was pure silence once Hai Kuan finished because they didn't know how to react. Laugh in hysteria, pity the misfortune, or analyze how such a set of events occurred?

"He's on his way to the hospital to get evaluated so we're trying to adjust the itinerary while the group is trying to find a replacement."

Jun Xiang leaned towards Pei Xin who was standing next to him and whispered, "Maybe he should get seen by Dr. Xiao. Seems like all legs related injuries have been heading his way."

Fan Xing, on the other hand, had a different idea. "Uncle Xiao is a really good singer," he muttered.

It was a very quiet, low voice. Not meant to shake the platform or create new revelations. Just a simple statement that Fan Xing wanted to sound, yet, it was enough to guide everyone's focus towards Xiao Zhan as if he was a newfound treasure. If anything, it made one person fall even deeper into their infatuation towards this man.

Yibo smiled very lightly, but his eyes were filled with adoration for this man who continued to surprise him every day. "You can?"

Xiao Zhan who wasn't prepared for the sudden recognition, even worse, the way that Yibo was looking at him as if he just learned that Xiao Zhan can save a nation. Yes, he can sing. However, he never saw himself as a singer so he felt it wasn't appropriate to acknowledge anything at this time. He simply stood there like a startled rabbit, staggering his sight amongst all the onlookers.

Pei Xin with his nonexistent patience interjected when his uncle wasn't answering the question, "He can and he's really good at it. Mother always praise Uncle Xiao for his voice and request that he sings her birthday song every year."

"A-Xin!"

"What?"

"I'm not that good," Xiao Zhan waved his hands in an attempt to disperse any expectations the small crowd had for him.

"Uncle Xiao," Jun Xiang interjected, "I hate to admit this but if Pei Xin praises someone with such a smugged look, I'm confident that they'll be amazing."