Chapter 11: Family Dinner

Xiao Zhan has been living on his own since he started college, but he tried to visit the Jiang's residence once a month for dinner. Once Xuan Lu got married, this monthly visit became a regular family gathering.

As per the usual routine, the moment Xiao Zhan entered the main door, he was embraced tightly by Mr. Jiang. They often saw each other since Mr. Jiang was in charge of the hospital, but he usually kept his distance since Xiao Zhan wanted to keep their relationship hidden. Mr. Jiang had always treated Xiao Zhan as a son so when the setting permits, he would flood Xiao Zhan with his fatherly presence to make up for when they were in public.

"How have you been A-Zhan," Mr. Jiang asked, holding Xiao Zhan at arm's length.

"I've been well. Thanks for letting me cover the VIP department again."

"You did well. Everyone loves you, especially the nurses! Females and males," Mr. Jiang laughed loudly, proud of his son's capability.

Walking into the living room, Xiao Zhan saw Mrs. Jiang who gave him a nod. Unlike Mr. Jiang, Mrs. Jiang was more dignified and had greater control of her expressions. Growing up as the eldest daughter of a rich family, she had always carried herself well and raised the children to become elites. Individually, Xiao Zhan and Zhuo Cheng were perfect children who followed the rules; when together, they had the tendency to cause havoc and was often punished by Mrs. Jiang. Xiao Zhan at first thought that she disliked him since he wasn't her child. However, he later learned that she reprimanded someone at an event when they gossipped about Xiao Zhan's background. After that incident, Xiao Zhan's evaluated her actions toward him and realized that any negative aspect was simply a result of her strong-will character. Without looking closely, people often misunderstood Mrs. Jiang's personality.

"Good evening auntie."

"Mn. Have you been eating properly? You've lost some weight," Mrs. Jiang nagged.

"He probably hasn't. A-Cheng said that A-Zhan's department has been overscheduled lately and he has been working over-time."

"Jiejie," Xiao Zhan playfully wined at Xuan Lu for ratting him out.

"Should we hire another doctor for the department," Mr. Jiang suggested.

"No, it's fine. We're slowly building our patient base and this volume just means that more patients want to be seen by us. We just need some time to adjust and we'll increase our efficiency."

"Xiao Zhan's right, you can't just hire another doctor because you don't want him to be overworked. He's a professional, let him learn." Mrs. Jiang reprimanded Mr. Jiang.

Zhuo Cheng entered the living room to inform everyone that dinner was ready. The children left first, then the adults followed. Just around the corner where Xiao Zhan was out of the adults' site, he slightly heard Mrs. Jiang said, "You should hire another doctor if the volume keeps increasing... it's the proper thing to do as the CEO." While Xiao Zhan rejected it when Mr. Jiang recommended the idea, he couldn't help but smile when he heard it from Mrs. Jiang. How can he refuse, she was in charge of the Jiang's household.

"Uncle Xiao," Pei Xin greeted the adults when they entered the dining room.

"Hello, I was wondering where you were. Where's Yu Chen?"

"There's a new project coming out next month so Father has to work late." Pei Xin replied then walked over to Xiao Zhan and whispered, "He promised to give grandpa a model before it goes on sale since he couldn't come tonight." The two 'children' secretly glanced over at Mr. Jiang and sneered.

Mrs. Jiang grew up as a proper lady who chewed with her mouth close and ate in silence. However, once she married into the Jiang's and watched the family grow, she has learned to adapt to the very rowdy gatherings.