Change Of Pace

CRAIG:

"So hey," I puff out over my shoulder, gently slowing my pace as I turn off the road and through the gates onto the farm's driveway. Sweat trickles down my temples, my face burning, and I'm feeling more winded than I rightfully should be. "Any word from Al yet?"

I've worked myself up to this question the entire run, yet even through my fatigue, an impatient note colours my tone. As she pulls to a stop beside me, Ashleigh's grimace is not the response I was hoping for.

It's been a whole week since I walked out on Alex at the Red Bull Inn. My calls are being rejected, my texts are ignored, and he has Lorraine turning me away from their door. I've tried to catch him at the school gates twice, only to be spotted early enough to be dodged.

The sleepless night I'd spent following my painful admission to Sebastian granted me more than enough time to realise just how rash and ludicrous the accusation I'd thrown at my brother was. But it seems he is wholly disinterested in hearing out my apology. Whatever else might be going on between us, no matter how rocky we might be, I should've never doubted for a single second that he had my back.

And asking Ashleigh to try speaking with him on my behalf had been a desperate and discomforting request to make. "Afraid not," she reports, launching straight into her stretches. "He u-turned on me the minute I mentioned your name, and I really don't think you want to hear what Steph had to say."

"Cheers for sugarcoating it for me."

"Welcome!" Her smirk counters my frown.

Shaking out my limbs, I start on my own stretches. "What have I done to make Steph so mad, anyway?"

"Believe me, you're best not knowing."

But when Ashleigh makes a point of setting her back to me, drawing her knee up toward her chest, I determine I definitely should. Steph's ire won't be helping my case with Alex any. "Spill."

"She's just kind of got it in her head that you're a destructive influence, that's all."

"That's all? Okay, bit rich coming from her."

"Mostly, I think, it's due to the scene you caused at her birthday party." Releasing her right leg, she lifts her left, and I automatically follow suit. "Apparently, a neighbour made a complaint to her mum."

"Because the blasting music wasn't a bigger disturbance."

"You were brawling in the middle of the street, Craig. You smashed a glass bottle on the road."I don't remember enough of that night to dispute it. "And," I prompt, "partly what else?"

There's a slight hitch to her movements that I don't miss before she carries on. "She also thinks that, like, maybe... Tinwell did what he did to Lynds partly because of, uh... you."

"What?!" Her words hit like a punch to the gut, bolting me up straight.

And she winces, rushing to add, "I don't think that. Lyndsay neither. I swear, no one else does. It's actually what Alex and Steph were arguing about at the gig. It's not like you encourage Tinwell's actions or anything. But, whatever, she can't hold her insane grudges for long, so don't worry about it, okay?"

"But..." That connection is a sickening pill to swallow.

I'm saved from any further reaction at the sudden intrusion of Dobby, barreling out from the side of the house and circling us like a flock in need of rounding. A piercing whistle has the mutt swiftly disappearing the same way he appeared, then a moment later, Sebastian leads his return.

With the flick of a rueful grin, Ashleigh bounds away from me to intercept the duo halfway across the drive. "Hey."

"Hey, yourself," Sebastian replies, his gaze sliding from her to settle on me. "About damn time." He looks no less of a sweaty mess than we must, dampened hair plastered to his head, wearing a loose khaki sweater that appears threadbare enough to predate him.