Spiraling

SEBASTIAN:

Within a minute of Craig disappearing after his brother, Ashleigh had coerced me into joining her. I'd put no rational thought into moving Craig's neglected drink along too. It's the first I've touched a drop since last I was here. I dislike even the slightest feeling of influence, but I have started to genuinely relax into the night. The band has an honest-to-God gift of sneaking under the skin, and Ashleigh's friends are infectiously enthusiastic; it's almost as if this past year has been no time at all.

However, Desperate For Aces are now taking a break, the sudden cessation of sound making my ears ring, and Derek is off the stage and closing in on us. The enchantment is too brittle to withstand his approach.

Truthfully, I'd be up and returning to my original seat with the brothers grim, if not for the statement that move would make. A look across at Craig finds him slouched in his chair, fixated on his feet, and I get the distinct impression whatever conversation he and Alex are having, it's likely best not interrupted in any case.

"Loving the vibe in here tonight," Derek says, glancing about himself. I do my utmost to ignore him as he pulls up alongside, his spicy Cologne and exerted sweat flavouring the stagnant air. Ruffling Lyndsay's hair until she swats him off, he commandeers a free seat from the next table and drags it in between us. All the while, I hold my focus on Ashleigh and Steph's impromptu Yes/No bout. "And loving my fanatically adoring fans."

"Your fans?" Lyndsay smirks at him. "Where are they at then?"

Swinging his chair back on two legs and pressing a hand to his chest as if struck, he chuckles. "Ouch!"

"Bas is almost having fun," Ashleigh needlessly draws attention to me. "So that's a thing."

I can feel the heat of his smoky gaze land on the side of my face. I don't react.

The bassist — whose name I can't remember — salutes us as he passes by to the table behind, and I tip my head in return. He settles in beside his missus and presses a firm kiss to her mouth. Across the other side of the stage, the guitarist and vocalist have joined their collective party of friends. Mikey has his phone out, busily typing away on it, and a gigantic smile blossoms on his face as it buzzes in his hand with a reply message.

"Oh-my-stars! Are you seriously sexting right now?" Steph leans fully over the table to nosy in on him.

The phone is hastily whipped from the table to his lap underneath. "As if, Steph," he remains fixed on the screen, cheeks pinking with a blush. "Shut up!"

"You are! That's so naughty!"

Derek's roguish smirk remains on me as he slides a covert peek down and across at Mikey's secretive messaging. "Where's your sweet lady-love tonight, Davis?"

"Not here," I shrug him off.

But Ashleigh's ears have instantly pricked. "Also, not the boss of him anymore," she reports, seemingly misinterpreting my 'stop talking' facial tics to mean 'explain on my behalf, please'. "As of today, Bas and Brianna are no long—"

"AHA!" Steph's hands are thrown up above her head with an abruptness that whips Ashleigh's head around. "Loser!"

"—What?"

"You just said the 'n' word, bitch," the crazy redhead crows, fierce and triumphant. "Game over, I reign victorious!"

The timely interruption startles a short guffaw from my throat.

Derek, though, has not been derailed. His expression appears equal parts pitying and amused as he angles himself closer to me and strokes an inked hand over his scalp. "Finally got tired of tame, huh? Hope you let the poor girl down gentle."