Starbucks

Chapter 2: Starbucks

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

October 2nd, 2014

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

Closing time for Køhler's Koffee was nearing after a long day with a lot of rush. The Bondevik siblings were occupying their last minutes of work with building a castle of gift cards, Nathan was counting the day's income, again, and Tino had sold the last latte of the day. Upon the exit of the last customer and the store's clock ringing six times, Mathias danced to the door and changed the sign to 'closed.'

"Today was the busiest day of the year," Emil complained.

"You say that every day," Lukas responded and snatched the card out of his brother's hand before adding it to the castle.

"But hey, we're closed tomorrow," Tino added. Emil let out a sigh of relief. "How much did we get today, Nathan?" Tino walked over to the man at the cash register and glanced over his shoulder.

"Yes," Nathan replied in his deep, monotone voice without looking up from the cash in his hands. Tino continued to wait for an actual answer until Berwald appeared from the kitchen. He made his way over to Tino and sat in the stool next to him, yawning.

"Ber, don't tell me you're tired already," Tino gave him a sunny smile and put his hands on both of Berwald's shoulders.

"I cleaned each table about eight times each," Berwald tilted his head backwards to look up at Tino. "Carry me home,"

"I don't know, I kinda have to drive, too," Tino laughed.

"You can try,"

"Hey, hey, guys!" Mathias's voice was so loud, it made Nathan look up from the wad of currency he was holding and nearly sent Lukas and Emil's card castle to the ground.

The Dutch cashier gently put the money away and cracked his knuckles. "This better be good, Køhler,"

"Just come over here and look," the Dane pressed his face to the front window. "The new building is almost finished!" The five others walked over to take a look. Sure enough, the new building project that had started back in late August was almost done and being painted. There was a 'coming soon' sign, that hadn't been there that morning sitting out on the window.

"I wonder what it will be," Lukas thought out loud.

"Hopefully a restaurant," Tino replied. "I'm getting sick of fried chicken,"

"How can you get sick of fried chicken?" Nathan asked. "Tasty and cheap."

"And unhealthy," Tino complained.

"Maybe it's going to be a Subway," Mathias suggested, interrupting Tino.

"Maybe Chinese food," Emil insisted.

"I hate Chinese food," Lukas grumbled.

"Chinese food hates you," Emil glared at his brother.

A man, sporting a bright neon yellow shirt and a pair of glasses, appeared from inside the building holding another sign. Everyone went quiet for a moment, except for Lukas who muttered something about neon shirts being a terrible invention. They watched eagerly as the sign was hung, but then there was a gasp.

Coming Soon: Starbucks

Silence plagued the room as everyone slowly turned and looked at Mathias. He continued to stare out the window with his hands and nose touching the glass.

Tino finally spoke up. "There's nothing to worry about, right?" He patted Mathias's back. "We'll keep our customers."

The man from before had walked back outside and looked directly at the six of them staring out the window. He began waving and shouting something.