:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

            “Sebastian even?” the woman responded, her eyes widening slightly.

            “I’m afraid so,” Sebastian told her. “I had no effect at all.”

             The woman frowned at me and started coming closer. Vincent tightened his grasp on my arm, making me wince in pain. I knew he was warning me not to jerk away from her. To my surprise though, I wasn’t afraid. As she grew closer I kept my ground easily. Her eyes flickered to Vincent’s hand on my arm and she frowned.

            “Vivi, let her go. You’re hurting her.”

            Immediately Vincent let me go. I slowly rubbed the area he had been holding, surprised by how sore it was. He really had been holding on tightly.

            “What’s your name?” the woman asked me, scrutinizing me with her eyes.

            “Emily,” I murmured feeling shy all of a sudden. Why was I feeling shy around a vampire? Just because she was a female didn’t mean she was any different. I should be scared, not shy!

            The woman lifted her hand and I couldn’t help but to flinch. She raised an eyebrow at me as I cursed myself silently. When I looked back at her hand again I realized she was holding it out for me to shake. After a few moments of convincing I managed to place my hand into her cool grasp.

            “I’m Luella Rutherford,” she told me, gripping my hand shaking it. “Sebastian and Vincent’s mother.”

            “And also queen of the vampire world,” I said quietly to myself.

            Luella laughed softly. “Well, yes, that too.”

            I stared at her in surprise. She had heard me? Oops. “Sorry, I didn’t mean…” Great. Now I was apologizing to a vampire. What was I even apologizing for?

            “There’s nothing to apologize for,” Luella told me, removing her hand from my grasp.

“Mom,” Vincent started in an irritated voice. “What are we going to do about her? You can make friends later.”

            Luella pursed her lips at her son. “A human knowing of our existence will not go over with anyone well… You know the laws. Just because we are royalty does not mean we can disregard them, Vivi. If someone finds out, you will be in serious trouble.”

            Vincent clicked his tongue. “You think I don’t know that, mother?” he responded snappily.

            “Vince,” Sebastian scolded as Luella sighed.

            “This would be so difficult if not for our status,” she commented. “We don’t want people thinking ill of our family…”

            “Vincent knows,” Sebastian interjected. “I’ve already warned him.”

            Vincent glared at his family. “I know our status, dear mother and brother. Don’t act as if it doesn’t bite me in the neck every chance it gets.”

            Sebastian frowned at Vincent. “Let’s get back to the problem at hand.”

            Luella tucked a lock of hair behind her as she let out a long breath of air. “This is very troublesome. I don’t think kidnap will help this situation either,” Luella commented, glancing at me quickly. “Obviously Emily didn’t come here by choice.”