Chapter 17: Well Shit

"Howd you even know where i was?" I asked sitting on Darnells bed.

"Preach texted spencer. Spencer knew I was closer," he said giving me a pitiful look.

"No pity. I had a small emotional breakdown. Every teenage girl has them," I told him.

"Let me see your wrist, " he said out of nowhere.

"Why?" I asked standing up.

"Pheonix-"

"Dont darnell. Listen, I'm going to guess you like me. You've tried to kiss me twice. Dont like me. I'm an emotion mess. You deserve better," I rambled.

"I dont think I could do better then you," he whispered grabbing my hand.

"What if I said I'm broken?" I finally admitted it.

I am broken. I was broke the day my dad left. I was broke the day my mom gave up on me and shawn. I was broke when Brandon died. I was broke when shawn died. I was broke when Preach was shot. I was broke when me and Spence started fighting. I was broke when I was raped. I was broke when the whole school slut shamed me. I am fucking broken.

"What if I told you I dont care," he said bringing me into a hug.

"This isnt some movie. I'm not going to quit cutting my wrist cause I have a boy," I told him.

"I know. I also want to be there. I want to be with you-"

"Darnell," I interupted.

"Listen. However, I have a feeling you need a best friend more then a boyfriend, " he said kissing the top of my head,"and if you ever want to move into boyfriend land I'm game. Until then, Pheonix Scott, will you do me the honors of being my best friend?"

"Yeah, whatever dork," I said shaking my head.

"Let me see your wrist," he said quietly.

"Why?"

"I want to make sure if your going to do this, you take care if them," he said.

I eventually let him see my cut and scared up wrist. I have actually kept them clean. He looked at me and I expected him to run. Instead he brought my wrists up to his lips and kissed them softly.

"I'm here," he said and laid down in his bed.

"Lay with me," he said.

I rolled my eyes and laid beside him.

"Has corey invited you to the cookout?" Darnell asked.

"Your dad thinks I'm his child to," I laughed.

"You like it dont you. Secretly," he said.

"I never had a dad. He gave up on me. It's why I love corey and Preach. They havent given up on me," I whispered.

"Its why I love Corey to. My dad left when I was born. Forced to-"

"Grow up quickly," I said.

"Goodnight Pheonix, " he said kissing my forehead.

"Goodnight Darnell," I whispered before slowly falling into sleep.

"Nice to see you again," tyrones voice came behind me.

"Leave me alone. Shawn! Help!" I scream seeing my brother.

"You deserve this. You killed me!" He yelled.

I shot up in the bed breathing heavily. I felt darnell arms rip away from me as I did so.

"Are you okay?" He asked sitting up quickly.