Chapter 1: You Deserve It

My name is Pheonix Scott and I am currently the only scott not to have joined a gang. Instead of listening to my now dead older brother, I joined cheerleading. I became really good at it, and am the best tumbler and base on our squad.

Even though I dont agree with everything Shawn has done, hes my twin. Nothing could every separate us, only death. Which I really fear for him.

My best friends are Kia and spencer. I'm not a big fan of coop, just dont tell spencer.

Right now I'm cheering on a South Crenshaw game. The game went well and Spencer had won the game.

We were all celebrating until gunshots rang out through the stadium. Me and the other cheerleaders hit the ground. After we were clear to get up I ran over to spencer.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked him.

"Yeah, Are you?" He asked me.

"Not the first time I've been around gunfire. You forget I live with Shawn," I said walking out with him.

"Hey. Spencer James and Pheonix Scott," a black man said approaching us.

"Who are you?" I said reaching for my bag.

I may not be in a gang, but I'm not stupid enough not to carry a gun. People are at me all the time because Shawn is my brother.

"I'm billy baker. I'm the football coach at Beverly high," he said to us.

"Why are you here?" I asked him.

"I want you Spencer. The cheer coach wants you Pheonix, " he told us.

"That's illegal, " spencer said,"I'd have to sit for three months."

"I wouldn't be able to compete for three months," I also said

"No. We have a way around that," he told us.

"We may be a mess, but I bleed green and yellow," I told him,"no thanks."

"I'm with her. Sorry coach," Spencer said.

"Alright. I respect that. See you two around," he said before walking away.

"Shawn's going to kill you when he finds out you had a way out," he told me.

"Your moms will kill you," I told him,"and without me who knows what'll happen to shawn."

Spence walked me home. I put my cheer bag in my room before I went to hang out with my brother.

"I heard about the shooting," shawn told me.

"Me and Spence are fine," I told him.

"Your going to Beverly," he told me,"I already called that coach."

"That's not your decision!" I yelled.

"Keep yo voice down. Yes it is. It is the right one," he whispered yelled.

"Shawn I'm not going," I told my twin.

"Maya needs to see that someone can get out. If you dont take this you will end up dead with me. Go to Beverly. Cheer!" He told me.

"You had to bring maya up," I said annoyed,"I'll go. For her."

"I'll give you a ride, " he called after me.

I went to my room and collapsed on my bed. I'm going to Beverly. Great.

Time skip-next day

Me and shawn rolled up in front of Beverly jamming to the radio.

"Shawn, all I see is white," I told him.

"Get out," he said.

"I'm scared," i said.