Hitting It Off

She came from a family that worked hard for everything they had and what they had, wasn't much.

At age twelve, she got her first job, delivering newspaper early in the morning and then after school, she'd walk dogs around the neighborhood.

At the time, she never understood why she had to work as young as she was but she learned to have independence and she learned how to save her money instead of wasting it on the latest trends that were in style right now.

High school, she worked everywhere. Any job you could name, she most definitely had. She never had time for sleepovers or parties because she was always working.

Then, her hard work paid off when it came to schooling. She received a fully paid scholarship to her dream school in New York.

With the help of her parents, who didn't have much, she paid for a small apartment with a nice view. It had one bedroom and one bathroom, it was all she needed. Now, she worked at a local library as a book clerk. She was making okay money, enough to pay for rent and food. Though, she managed to save most for something she didn't know of.

During her second year at Cornell University, she met one of the most chic and outgoing people in one of her communication classes. Ever since, they've been close.

"Hey, I'm Devenity but call me Dev."

Dev was one of the only people that knew about her financial issues and continuously would she try to hand her a check, just to help but Camila was stubborn and never took the checks.

Dev was wealthy and she profusely made attempts to spoil her dearest friend with small gifts of clothing and objects to just bid her thank you for being an amazing friend, despite the issues she faced in the inside.

It is now Camila's last year of university and then she has to create her life and make something out of it, as much as she possibly could.

"You coming to my party tonight?" Dev dropped her pen. Currently, they were studying together. "I don't know...it's not really my scene."

It wasn't a lie. Camila truly wasn't a party person even if it was one of her closest friends throwing it.

"It's not really a party...you know?" Camila raised an eyebrow, "like...we'll be all dressed up as we raise our champagne glasses."

After contemplating it for quite a bit, she gave in. Though, now, she had to figure out what she could wear that didn't look like she was running out of clean laundry.

Later that night, she settled on a slick, black dress that was off the shoulder that she borrowed so many years ago from Dev but never once did Dev ask for it back.

Dev's house was packed with people but she was right. Classy music played as hors d'oeuvres we're passed around by one of her many butlers that her parents insisted having around. Camila recognized these people. Some were from Cornell, others were mutual friends because of Dev and most were because they were regulars at Dev's parties. Although, there were definitely some that she didn't recognize.

"Camzie! You made it...thank god!" Dev handed her a slim glass of champagne, smiling widely with her bright red lip. "Yeah, I did."

Camila made small talk with others that bid her hello and she forced a smile as she tried not to cringe at every single person that talked about their wealth or their beach homes.

Suddenly, while she was in the middle of talking to a women named Gwen who was going on and on about her family in Prague, was pulled away by Dev.

Silently, she thanked her.

"There's someone I want you to meet." She clapped her hands, excitedly before manoeuvring the both of them around the large groups of people, "new boyfriend?"