Chapter Twenty

Doctor Maria takes a seat beside my bed. Austin has moved from the bed, to one of the other chairs. He holds on tightly to my hand as Doctor Maria flips through the clipboard full of Graham's information.

"So," She starts. "Graham made it through the night."

I can feel myself release the breath I wasn't aware I was holding. "Thank God."

She smiles back at us. "So for now we're stuck playing the waiting game. Now we just have to wait until he's strong enough to be able to go home."

"Where does that leave us?" Austin asks. "I have to get back in the studio and start working, but I don't want to leave Cali or Graham here."

"Well, if Calli would like, she can go home as well, and come back during the day to spend it with Graham and let him hear her voice and learn from the nurses what she's supposed to do."

"Thanksgiving is Thursday, do the nurses leave him alone?" I ask.

She shakes her head. 'No, the nurses stay by the babies sides throughout the day and will keep close watch on him."

"How is he looking" Austin asks.

"Strong." Doctor Maria answers. "He's got a stronger heartbeat. He just needs to gain about four or five pounds before he'll be well enough to go home."

"Has he gained anything at all?" I ask.

"Two ounces, which is good for a baby his size." She looks at his information again. "And his test results came back; everything was negative. There are no red flags for anemia or lung conditions."

I breathe another sigh of relief. "That's amazing."

Austin's phone lights up, and Rocco's face fills the screen.

'Why is your manager calling?" I ask him.

He shakes his head. "I have no clue. Probably to see how you're doing."

He hits the ignore button and truns his attention back to Doctor Maria.

"So what next?" I ask.

"Well, you can go home, clean up a bit, and have some down time to relax for a little while before you can come back and check on Graham." She says. "I know sleeping in that bed can't be very comfortable."

I let out a laugh. "You wouldn't believe how easily I've gotten used to these beds in the last six years."

Doctor Maria laughs with me. "I can imagine. Now let me go get you checked out and the two of you can head home."

After she walks out the door, I let out a sigh. "I don't want to leave him here."

Austin kisses the top of my head. "I know, babe, I don't want to either. But, at least we'll get to be in our own beds, be alone, and you can take a shower."

I relax into Austin's arms. "Being alone would be nice, except for Cori and Derek being there too."

"They're probably in their room and won't even hear us come in." Austin says through his chuckles.

I can't help but laugh with him. "I don't want to think about that."

He climbs off the bed and slips his shirt over his head. HIs phone immeadietly starts ringing again: Rocco.

"Do you think you should answer that?" I ask. "It might be important."

"I'll call him back when we get to the house." Austin answers.

Doctor Maria comes back in. "You're clear to go. There is a maternity dress that your mother left you sitting in the bathroom, so you can change into it. There's no need to rush getting back here tonight, even though I know you'll want to see Graham soon."