[11] This ain't as easy as we thought

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Phupo?" Zahid lowered his gaze, heaving a sigh. Honestly, he was not in favor of inviting too many guests- he had hoped that the function would be limited to close family and friends. While his father's younger sister had been the only one who kept in contact with his father after he was disowned by his family, Zahid wasn't too close to her. "I don't know, Khala. Call her if you want," he finally said.

Mrs. Ahmed nodded, getting up from her seat. She had only just taken a couple of steps towards the door when she suddenly halted. Zahid raised a brow- watching as she turned around slowly, an expression of hopelessness taking over her features.

"I don't think I can call your Phupo," she muttered, beginning to pace the room. Zahid blinked, watching as she walked, biting her lip. "A couple of months ago- I was talking to her, and she was asking me about you, and then suddenly out of the blue, she asked for your hand in marriage for her elder daughter."

"What?!" Zahid stared at his aunt, horrified.

"Well- she didn't exactly do that. She hinted it more so, and I didn't even bother asking you because I know you-"

Zahid's expression relaxed as Mrs. Ahmed went on. "So I rejected politely- saying that you were busy with your work." Mrs. Ahmed stopped pacing, looking at Zahid helplessly. "I can't call her to your nikkah, now, can I?"

"No, please, don't," Zahid nodded fervently, "It won't be nice. I agree."

"Yeah, I think you're right," Mrs. Ahmed said, and Zahid mentally sighed in relief- Okay, no Phupo at the wedding. This was going good-

"Zahid," Mrs. Ahmed said suddenly, sitting down again. He looked at her cautiously- the thoughtful expression on her face dangerous enough. "Who did you invite for your nikkah?"

"Er... Harris... and Junaid Bhai."

Mrs. Ahmed blinked, waiting for him to continue with his list but when Zahid stopped there, blinking at her dumbly, her eyes widened. "That's it?"

"It's not like I have a lot of acquaintances, and we're keeping the nikkah event small, aren't we?" Zahid tried to explain but Mrs. Ahmed was hearing none of it.

"I invited four of my friends. Six people? That's all the people we're going to invite?"

"Well, I don't see what's so wrong-"

"No, no. We can't do that. I'm going to invite your Phupo," Mrs. Ahmed nodded firmly, "I'll tell her that you... er- took a liking to a girl! Yes, I'll tell her that-"

"But that's not what happened!" Zahid tried to argue, "This was arranged-"

"Do you not like Amal?" Mrs. Ahmed retorted, crossing her arms.

Zahid blinked. A bit flustered, he scratched the back of his neck. " No, that is not what I meant-"

"Exactly! I'm going to invite her," Mrs. Ahmed got up again, beginning to make her way out of her room, as she muttered under her breath, "Ai, so much work. I'll have to set the guestroom for her arrival-"

Zahid's ears perked up. "Will Phupo stay here?"

Mrs. Ahmed turned around, nodding. "She's coming from Faisalabad. Where else do you expect her to stay?"

"Khala!" Zahid sat up, "Harris is staying the night here as well!"

"That's no big a deal. He can stay in your room." With that, Mrs. Ahmed turned around, continuing to mutter under her breath as she made her way out of the room. Zahid watched her leave, an expression of despair taking over his features.