37. Blood in the ocean - Part 1

Fay didn't want to go further without knowing the piers were safe, but they were not safe there out in the open packed in school busses. She knew their scent lingered in the forest - it would be easy to pick and follow. Had there been only a few of them, she could have taken them out and moved by foot according to the wind directions. But there were too many of them. 

"Seth? Anything?" she spoke into her mate's mind.

"Nothing," Seth's voice inside her mind spoke. "Are you at the boats yet?"

"I had a bad feeling. I sent Darren Hicks to check them out."

"Fay.-"

"I know, I know! It's not safe here in the middle of the road. But I'm not going there before I know it's safe. And something in me is telling me it's not safe."

"My family has owned the island for centuries and there have never been any issues. It's our secret refuge." Fay heard the annoyance in his voice.

It's our secret refuge. Secret refuge. 

The wolf in her made her body tremble.

"Not again," she thought. As she struggled to stay in her human form, images of hostile wolves started to appear in front of her. They bared their teeth and growled at her. They seemed to grow and grow if she tried to move. 

"Fay?" she heard Seth.

"My wolf side is trying to take over again," she groaned at him. "It happens when..."

Fay's eyes widened. It's warning her. Her wolf side was warning her of danger. She had always been a protector, meaning she had always wanted - needed to protect. She had done it by learning, planning, practicing, and preparing. But now, something had awakened in her. Fay remembered sitting on the guest room floor in the Cage house realizing the serum had changed her wolf side. It had nearly killed it, but in the end, it had made it stronger and better.

"If I were them, I'd be waiting at the piers," she spoke into Seth's mind. He didn't say anything so Fay continued, "They know, children are always taken to someplace safe when a pack faces danger. Why? Because fear of losing your child cripples even the strongest fighter. And losing a child crushes you and your ability to function. What better way to destroy a pack... Seth, they are there. I'm not taking theses children there."

Just as Fay had said that a wolf's howl pierced the air. 

"Darren," Fay breathed out. He was in trouble. They needed to get ouf there. 

"Turn off the lights," she instructed the drivers and the men in the SUVs. What should she do? The men waited for more instructions visible shaken by the howl. 

"Fay, what now?" one of them asked.

Fay looked around. Darkness wouldn't give them much help. Even in human form, it wouldn't be hard to spot them. Moving on foot wasn't an option. But the car engines could be heard miles away. 

Another howl. Howl full of agony. Time was running out.

"Empty the busses," she said. 

***********************************************************************************************

Part 2 is coming tomorrow, so be sure to come back :) Also check out The girl who saves werewolves! 

Thank you for voting and commenting!

You are awesome!