14. Trust

Chuff chuff chuff.

The noise was getting louder. 

Serafina sat still. Only her finger was moving as it tapped her thigh. There was a framed drawing on the wall, she had been staring at the last 30 minutes. Her father had framed it and hang it on the wall with pride in his eyes. A big figure, a wolf, stood in the middle of the white paper and there was a shaky child's handwriting under the wolf: I love you, daddy. 

Though the figure resembled more a disfigured bear, the eyes were perfect. Serafina could still remember them clearly. They were intense, penetrating like ultraviolet. All he had needed to do was look at his enemy to get him intimidated. 

Chuff chuff chuff.

It was almost there. 

Reluctantly she turned her eyes away from the drawing and looked at the window. Sand was flying around and hitting the glass panels. The air current grew stronger as lights started to appear from the sky.

CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF.

Serafina's finger tapped faster. 

"The hills are alive with a sound of music..." Serafina started to hum, but the song didn't bring her comfort as it usually did. 

The wind calmed down and the silence fell. 

A knock on the door made her frown; she hadn't heard any steps nor caught a scent. The wolf in her was restless. 

There was another knock.

"Come in," Serafina spoke. She saw the knob turn. One last glance at her father's eyes gave Serafina enough courage to remain seated. The door opened slowly with a squeak. 

There he stood in the dim light of the full moon.  

She was taken back by him, though she had not known what to expect. Serafina had studied him from the videos. She had become familiar with every little detail of his physical features. She knew how his voice sounded and how he moved. But his presence had remained a mystery. Now it was veritably real. It took over the whole cabin; he was everywhere but still distant -untouchable. Still, there was no scent. 

He stepped in closing the door behind him. He didn't say anything. Serafina wasn't going to be the first one talking so she remained silent eyeing him. 

He's dark, almost black eyes poured into hers. 

"Good evening," his dark velvety voice floated in the air. 

Serafina nodded unable to turn her eyes away.

"May I sit down?"

Serafina nodded again. 

He walked closer and sat on the armchair opposite her. There was a wooden coffee table between them. 

Serafina leaned back and put her arms on the back of the sofa. He noticed her deliberate gesture and a smile appeared on his lips momentarily.

"What do you want?" Serafina asked. 

He too leaned back. He took his time before answering.

"Are you in a hurry, Miss Cage?"

Serafina rolled her eyes and received another smile from him.

"May I call you Serafina?" he asked.

"Call me whatever you want," Serafina replied.

"Well then,  I will call you Serafina."

Serafina bit her lower lip. His eyes were tearing down her defense. She didn't want to show it to him, so she straightened her back and put her hands on her lap. She thought about her father's eyes and hoped to have even a glimpse of his gaze in hers.

"I imagine that must feel unfair," he said.

Serafina frowned. 

He went on: "Having alpha blood in you, but not being able to use it."

Serafina shook her head because she didn't know what to say. 

"Mr. Trinh-"

"Call me Henry."

Serafina paused. She took a breath before speaking his name. There was something dangerous about crossing that line.

"Henry... I agreed meeting you to negotiate my brother's release. So, please tell me what you want."

"Serafina... This is a business negotiation. It takes time to form a good relationship based on trust."

Serafina snorted. Henry too looked amused.

"Trust is vital."

"It sure is," Serafina laughed. "How can I win your trust?" she asked raising her eyebrow.

 "You already have my trust."

"Why? You don't know me?"

"I do."

"No. You don't."

Now it was Henry's turn to let out a laugh. It was missing the emotion, though. 

"I know you Serafina."

"I don't believe you." Bird, she added in her mind. 

Henry was quiet for a while. He looked around the cabin with his dark eyes.

"You were daddy's girl," he said.

"I might have been," Serafina shrugged, "But so are many other girls." 

As Serafina finished her words, a strange emotional wave washed over her. She gasped. 

Right before her eyes, Serafina could see her father smiling at her and calling her: "Seyah." Serafina used to call herself that, when she was little and her father had kept doing it till...

Her father disappeared. Serafina nearly reached for him with her hand but stopped herself.  

Next, she was overcome by an overbearing sense of restraint. It started to eat her from the inside.  

This is not real, she thought. This is him.'

"I'm not afraid of you," she spat out letting her eyes turn dark. "Or your mind tricks."

"Here's the thing, Serafina... I trust you because I know there's nothing I don't know about you. You can't surprise me. But you can't trust me unless you know me and what I'm really capable of doing."

Serafina felt her body rise from the sofa. Her back hit the coffee table and she realized she was laying on it. She tried to get up but her body wasn't her own. Helplessly she watched as Henry got up. He towered over her and let his eyes roam on her body. 

"I could do this to you," he whispered.

Serafina's legs started to move apart. Henry's hand went to his belt buckle.

"No!" Serafina cried out. She tried to move away but couldn't. 

Henry just eyed her silently and started to unbuckle. Tears rose to Serafina's eyes. She was alone and helpless. 

"Please," she begged.

Suddenly she was sitting on the sofa and he on his armchair. He was still leaning back and she had her back straight and hands on her lap.

"I could also do this..."

Serafina flew across the cabin through a window. She could feel the glass tearing her skin. She landed on the porch disoriented and in pain. She laid there for what seemed like hours. For her horror, her wounds didn't start to heal and she kept bleeding. As she tried to get up, the pain was too strong for her to move.

Then, once again, she was, sitting on the sofa opposite Henry. 

"You should be afraid of me, Serafina. I can destroy your mind."