A Night Of Neglect

"All right, we need $5,000 to pay for our trip to nationals in New York

"All right, we need $5,000 to pay for our trip to nationals in New York." Mr Schue spoke writing on the board.
"What happened to the money that we got from the Cheerios?" I asked.
"I guess Sue was hiding it in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands and we're having some trouble accessing some of it. Any of it. This is saltwater taffy."
"I love saltwater." Brittany smiled.

"When I was a student here, we paid for our entire trip to nationals selling this classroom to classroom, door to door. We pushed this stuff like crack. And so will we. So to make $5,000 at 25 cents apiece we need to sell 20,000 pieces of taffy."
"Wait. Do you honestly think that we can sell 20,000 anythings?" Rachel wondered.
"We won regionals for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the planet and I still got a freakin' cherry Icee facial." Santana frowned.
"Yeah, Santana's right. Nobody cares about us." Quinn agreed.

"I can't listen to this." Mike stood up.
"Mike, are you okay?" I checked.
"No. You guys complain all the time about being mistreated but you have no idea what it's like to work your butt off for something and have everyone, even your friends, ignore you."
"I'm so trying to remember his name right now." Lauren muttered.

"Artie, Tina, Brittany and I are on the Brainiacs." Mike continued.
"Isn't that the Academic Decathlon team?" I asked.
"We have one of those?" Sam wondered.
"Yes, we do. And the four of us went on the Smarty Pants Show and beat Carmel High to go to the Academic Decathlon finals in Detroit next week."
"You guys were on TV?" We kept asking questions.
"Why didn't you tell us about it?"
"We did." Oh... We are so clueless sometimes.

"Wait. I- I get the three of you being on the team."
"Is it because two of them are Asian and Artie wears glasses?" I asked Mr Schue.
"No. But Brittany?"
"Liz Schneider was our fourth, but she got rubella." Artie informed.
"Her parents are hippies who don't believe in vaccinations." Tina said.
"Brittany was the only person we could find on short notice. We bribed her with Dots. That Sunshine Corazon that Rachel sent to a crack house was on the other team. Luckily, we had our own secret weapon. Sadly, we can't afford to go to the finals, so we're gonna have to forfeit." Artie frowned.

"Why don't you just have your parents pay for it?" Rachel questioned.
"Because we shouldn't have to. We're a school club. The school should pay for it. It's a matter of pride." Tina told us.
"You guys are absolutely right. How much do you need to make the trip?" Mr Schue wondered.
"With gas and motels, if we only ate Funyuns, uh, $250." Tina worked out.

Mr Schue began writing on the board again. "Which means we just need to sell more taffy."
Ugh.

*******

The next day in the choir room, Mr Schue announced that we were having a 'Night Of Neglect'. "And it is a perfect place to practice for Nationals. And you know the best part? We're only gonna do songs by neglected artists. Because it's a night of neglect."
"Can you define what you mean by neglected artists?" Rachel asked.
"Um, someone whose brilliance isn't always appreciated." He explained.