24

~Maeve's POV~

On Saturday, I was relaxing by myself in the living room, taking advantage of the fact that Jase had left for the day, when I suddenly heard the sound of the front door opening and then a few sets of footsteps entered the house. I knew it must've just been Jase coming back home with some friends, so I brushed it off.

Well, right up until Jase walked in with Nicolai and a bored to death looking Luke.

Surprised, I blinked at the three of them in surprise and my eyes darted back and forth between Luke and Nicolai in confusion between my gaze landed on Jase. I scowled and stood up off of the couch, crossing my arms over my chest as I gave my brother a glare. "What is he doing here? You know I don't want him here." I huffed, letting my eyes snap over to Nicolai, who had an infuriating smirk on his lips. Either I was becoming a violent person or it was just the affect that Nicolai had on me, but I wanted to punch that smirk off his face.

Jase just rolled his eyes and glanced at his friend, exchanging a glance with the tool I called an ex boyfriend. "He's my friend, Maeve." Jase retorted flatly as his eyes found mine again, giving me a careless shrug. "It's not my fault you dated him. Besides, I never agreed to anything, so I don't really care what you want. I want to have him over, so he's here."

A frown formed on my lips as I stared at him, wondering why I had been saddled with having such an inconsiderate older brother. I glanced over at Luke, who was already looking at me, and quickly looked away when he gave me a wink, trying to stifle the blush I could feel in my cheeks. "Fine." I muttered, knowing I didn't have much of an option. Neither mom nor dad were home today, as they had to work again, so I was stuck with Nicolai here. At least Luke was here as well.

Both Nicolai and Jase headed upstairs, probably to go play video games in his bedroom. It wasn't unusual for Jase to have friends from the football team over to hang out, but it had been a little while. None of them had come over during the summer, not even once. I definitely wasn't complaining about that, though.

When the two of them were gone, Luke just stood there across from me, making my gaze flick over to him. Unsurprisingly, he was already looking at me, watching as I placed my hands on my hips and frowned at him. "I'm surprised that you're here. I thought you didn't like either one of them." I said, stalking up to him. His pink lips twitched up into a smile. "Oh, I don't. They're both asshats." He agreed, making me smile in amusement. "I'm only hanging out with them because they kept blowing up my goddamn phone about hanging out. Well, Jase did, anyways. Something tells me Nicolai probably would prefer that I not be here." He chuckled.

I giggled softly and pushed up on my toes, slinging my arms around his neck as our chests pressed against one another. "Yeah, Jase can be like that. He seems to really want to turn you into another brainless minion, like the rest of his friends." I whispered, making him snort. Although the action would probably seem unappealing when done by someone else, it was somehow cute when he did it. "I'm glad you're here, though." I admitted quietly.

Luke slithered his long arms around my waist and hummed, leaning down to kiss me on the lips briefly. "Believe me, so am I. I'd be a horrible boyfriend if I just let you be stuck here at home with your stupid brother and your dick of an ex boyfriend." He murmured, causing me to grin as I kissed him again.

He held me for a little bit longer, his eyes surveying my features. "I don't think I have ever seen you without makeup until today." He realized, playing with the ends of my hair that brushed my butt. I smiled and felt my heart pound. "Are you disappointed?" I asked, earning a greatly surprised look from him as he blinked at me and then furrowed his brows, clearly taken aback. "Disappointed? Maeve, why would I ever be disappointed?" He retorted, but I just weakly shrugged my shoulders.