10

~Maeve's POV~

I looked up as Luke sat down in his seat beside me in Physics class, his body having to sort of awkwardly scoot past me so he could sit down. As he slipped into his seat, I got a whiff of leather and vanilla from him, wafting into my face.

He smells nice.

Luke glanced over at me once he was sat down, giving me a tiny smile that I didn't hesitate to return. "Good morning." I greeted, as it was still technically morning and this was the first class of the day we had together. It was only third period. "Morning to you too, blondie." He hummed, setting his backpack on the floor by the leg of his desk. I instinctively looked down at it, slumped against the floor. "Why don't you hang your bag over the back of your chair? Doesn't it get dirty when it's on the floor like that?" I asked curiously, cocking my head to the side as I glanced up at him again.

He raised a brow and shrugged his shoulders, briefly glancing down at his backpack. "I guess it does, but it's just sort of a habit I've got." He said, running a hand through his messy platinum blonde hair. I whispered an oh and then the teacher, Mr. Carrillo, suddenly slammed the classroom door shut as the bell rang, signaling the start of class. I zipped my mouth shut and went to grab my pencil, which I had put in the little net on the outside of my bag at the end of my second period class, but I found that my pencil wasn't there. Frowning, I turned around and looked down, thinking maybe I just hadn't grabbed it but that it was still there. But there was nothing except an empty net there, no pencil in sight.

Confused and a little bit upset, I swung my bag into my lap, hoping that I had just misplaced it a bit. I always put my pencil in there and it had never gotten lost or misplaced before, ever. Losing things wasn't really in my nature because I liked to keep all of my things in a certain place, a certain way. I was generally pretty organized and I knew where all of my things were at.

I began to search through my bag, trying to see if I had possibly placed my pencil somewhere else, but I still couldn't find it. A downside to me usually not misplacing my things was that I didn't bring along spare pencils to class, because I always knew where mine was and I knew whether or not I'd need a new one. My pencils were mechanical, so I either would refill them with led or just get a new one, since I had a lot in my locker.

Although I tried to find my pencil, hoping that it might've been somewhere in my bag, it was nowhere. I couldn't find it. Frowning, I looked over at Luke, chewing gently on my cheek as I considered asking him if he had a second pencil that I could borrow.

After I looped my bag around the back of my chair, I gently tapped Luke on the shoulder, peering up at him when he turned his head to look down at me. "What's up?" He hummed curiously, raising a brow. I sent him a sheepish smile, hoping I wouldn't be being too much of a hassle. "Do you happen to have a pencil or pen I could borrow? I kind of lost mine." I said, fiddling with the fabric of my blue and white floral shorts.

He hummed, leaning down to pick his bag up from the floor before he began to look through it for a pencil or pen I could borrow. Eventually, he pulled out a mechanical pencil, holding it out to me. I hesitated to take it, frowning. "You're sure you're okay with me using this one?" I asked, making him raise a brow. "Should I not be?" He asked back, an amused smile growing on his lips as he still held it out for me, waiting for me to take it.

My face burned a bit in embarrassment. "W-Well, I just didn't know if you were one of those people who hates lending specifically the mechanical ones." I explained, causing him to chuckle, the sound low and smooth. It made my skin warm, awed by how warm and nice that sound was. "Trust me, blondie, I don't mind. Take it." He insisted, holding it out for me a little more.