Chapter 19. Changing Lanes

Ten weeks passed since the pack laid Embry to rest. They still struggled with the loss of their brother and best friend, but the pain began to lessen as they adjusted, working toward healing. They continued running tight, frequent patrols and made sure someone always watched over Kim and Rachel, since they never located the missing Native American vampire.

Jacob woke to brightness, realizing he overslept again. Another great dream of Embry had held him in his slumber. He jumped out of bed and called for Billy, only to find Billy already left. They had made plans to meet with Sam about what Billy and the Council felt united the packs. There was also a bonfire scheduled for tonight, which was more than likely the reason Billy left without him. He grumbled at his dad's lack of patience then admitted to himself how much alike they were. After showering, he dressed and hurried over to Sam's place, hoping he'd be lucky enough to catch Billy there. 

Driving into the yard, he noticed Sam sitting alone on his front porch. Billy was nowhere in sight.

"You just missed him." Sam yawned, stretching.

"Yeah, I figured as much. I guess he didn't want to wake me again." He took a seat beside Sam. "He thinks I'm not sleeping well. I admit, I wasn't at first, but it's gotten much better. I can sleep all night sometimes."

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"So, did he tell you anything or is he going to make us wait a week, trying to get us together?"

"Actually, he did. He said he could just as well told you what they found out, but he wanted to talk to us together. I guess since the timing hasn't worked out, he gave up and told me to fill you in when you got here, and he'd talk with you about it when he sees you."

Jacob quirked his eyebrow. "Okay, let's hear it. What does the Council think happened?"

"Now that I think about it. It's no great mystery. We all performed as one pack, working toward the same emotionally heightened goal. We shared a purpose crucial to every one of us. That's what caused us to reunite. Simple as that. Here's the part that seems strange to me. I don't know. Let's see what you think about it. They said two Alphas or Co-Alphas existing harmoniously in one pack." Sam shrugged, appearing puzzled.

"Co-Alphas?" Jacob repeated in the same questioning tone. "Is that possible?"

"Billy says it is. I didn't feel I had any power over you when the packs reunited. I still don't. Did you feel anything like that over me?"

"Nah, nothing at all."

"Billy said we both think so much alike we're almost one mind, anyway. We make a good team."

"A hell of a good team," Jacob chimed.

Sam smirked. "Yeah, we do." He sounded like he was becoming convinced as he listened to himself speak. "Apparently, we only had one issue dividing us and that issue isn't even an issue anymore, according to Billy."

"What was the issue?"

"I don't know. He said he's got to talk to you about that one first."

"So, what do we do now?" Jacob asked. "How is this supposed to work?"

"Hmm. I think we could operate as usual, if it's okay with you. Unless you have some things you want ironed out before we attempt it?"

"Nah, I don't mind the way you do things. I mean, it works for the pack and with the numbers we have now, I could see why it's necessary to give orders to get things done the right way." Jacob rationalized for a moment, adding, "But since I only make requests, my two concerns are Leah and Seth. They're used to having their free will, so my only condition is to let me handle them by myself."