Chapter 18. Love between the Lines

Jacob, Embry, and Quil hung out at the cliffs appreciating the uniquely hot, bright, sunny day. They traded silly jabs at each other, taking turns trying to push each other into the water. Jacob felt great. Sitting down, they talked and laughed, enjoying themselves.

Embry stood up. "Well, guys, I better be taking off now."

Feeling panicked, Jacob jumped to his feet and begged Embry to stay longer. "I've already stayed long enough. You guys got things to do today, and so do I."

He encouraged them to continue without him. "Don't worry about me. I'm not going far. I'll be right here when you need me. I plan on stopping by and hanging out with both of you as often as I can. We'll have a hell of a lot more good times just like today. Hey... Maybe I'll meet you guys on the court next time? I'll be back soon," Embry reassured them. He turned to leave but turned back again. His smile shined so brightly, Jacob could feel the loving warmth, comfort, and peace radiating from Embry's entire body, surrounding him and Quil, and communicating to them exactly what he felt.

His happiness was amazing, and he gave off a vibe of perfect peace. "You guys should see all the girls hanging around my place. They're all so good looking... Everyone of them is a complete angel."

"I bet they are." Jacob grinned, a teardrop glistening in the corner of his eye.

"I don't think I can pick just one. You know what? I don't think I will." Embry laughed and faded off into the distance.

Jacob opened his eyes, bubbling with more cheer after waking than he'd done in a long while. He held a strange feeling he wasn't merely dreaming about Embry, but that Embry came by his dream for a visit. He looked forward to more pleasant dreams just like this one.

"You're finally up. It's almost noon," Billy said, staring down into Jacob's blood-shot eyes.

He fell asleep on the living room floor, again. Rolling over, he stretched. His body felt stiff, like he slept in the same position all night long.

"You were mumbling in your sleep, but I didn't want to wake you." Billy furrowed his eyebrows, worried. "I hope you're sleeping okay?"

"I'm sleeping fine, Dad. Don't worry. I'd tell you if I wasn't. Where're you off to anyway?" Jacob asked, changing the subject. He knew Billy meant well, but he didn't like parental hovering.

"I'm going over to help Embry's mom. She's got to go through his things today, and she doesn't want to be alone."

"Dad, I really appreciate the way you're helping her through this, and I know that Embry would really appreciate it."

"She's a nice person, and everyone needs a friend, especially in times like these. Sam's been a real big help to her, too. She said he stops over at least once a day to see if she needs anything, and she really enjoys his visits... You know who else is a nice person?" Billy offhandedly asked. "Raven's mom, Abby, and cute!"

Jacob threw a pillow, and it skimmed across Billy's head. "Chill, Dad, the ink's not even dry," he joked, chuckling.

Billy laughed. "I'm just saying." A car horn blared for Billy. "I'll be meeting with the Council at Old Quil's later. There's still so much we're trying to find out about you kids, and we're working on seeing what reunited the packs. You know, you and Sam really ought to sit in on the sweats," Billy suggested, as he wheeled himself out the door.

"Wait a minute, I'll help you," Jacob jumped to his feet and followed Billy outside.

A few minutes later the phone rang. Raven spoke excitedly about Abby finding a buyer for their house in Forks. "We'll be able to move to La push soon, because the people buying the house are in a big hurry to get the sale completed," she squealed. "So, come over. I want to go do something fun today."