Magnus is quick to answer the door, eyes widening as he sees Ambrose's shaken state.

Magnus is quick to scoop Ambrose into his arms, carrying him into the bedchamber. He tucks the young prince into bed, brushing his hair from his face.

Ambrose hiccups and sobs, clinging to the bedsheets as Magnus drapes a damp cloth over his forehead.

"What happened?" Magnus asks Levi, sending a glare in the man's direction.

"He started crying so I took him to his bedchamber. I swear I have no idea what has him so upset."

Magnus grumbles something under his breath, turning back to the young prince.

Ambrose throws his arms around the Fae, nuzzling his head into the older man's shoulder. His cries turn into gentle sniffles as Magnus rubs his back.

Levi, not knowing what else to do, sits at the edge of the bed as he waits for Ambrose to calm down.

Soon enough, Ambrose is taking deep steady breaths, wiping the remaining tears from his eyes.

"My deepest apologies, Your Highness," Ambrose says, glancing up at Levi. His voice was nowhere near steady, but enough that he didn't feel shame at the way he sounded. "For you to see me acting this way... and as a guest in my palace... it is shameful. And for that, I apologize."

"There is nothing to apologize for," Levi responds hastily, shaking his head.

"I do not act like this usually," Ambrose continues, straightening his posture and pushing away from Magnus. "I am having a terrible day."

"On your birthday? How so? Should this not be a joyous occasion for you? You will now become the official crowned prince and you have found your mate on the same day. You are very lucky."

Ambrose stiffens, his guilt clouding over him once again.

"Magnus. Leave the room."

Levi could tell that the Fae wanted to refuse by his body language. It was very slight, a normal person wouldn't be able to detect the movement. But Levi saw it.

"Hmm," Levi rubs his chin, watching as the Fae places the damp cloth onto the bedside table. He is quick to exit the bedchamber, shutting the door behind him.

"Are Fae's always this obedient?" Levi asks, glancing back at Ambrose.

"He has no choice. Exiled Fae are punished by their kind, being forced to become servants to the first person they lay eyes on in the over-world. He cannot refuse my orders even if he tried."

"How did you come across a Fae?"

"My uncle gifted him to me on my first birthday."

"You seem close with the Fae."

"We grew up together," Ambrose smiles gently, happy memories arising as he thinks back to his childhood with Magnus. "Magnus has been there for me as long as I can remember."

Ambrose becomes silent, smile slipping from his face. He clenches his hands together on his lap, the skin turning white the harder he squeezes.

"May I confide in you?"

"Of course. What is on your mind?"

"First, you must promise not to tell anyone."

"I-,"

"Please. It doesn't take much to keep a secret," Ambrose pleads, gazing up at Levi with teary eyes.

It was hard enough that Ambrose was going to confide in a man whom he'd never met beforehand. He needed to know that Levi would keep the information to himself.