6

Maya's POV

"Maya?" Kermit questioned as he sat up a little in the hospital bed but I could tell he was in a bit of pain.

"Hi." I said awkwardly. "Helen called me. She said you were in a really bad way but doctors-"

"They thought I was a lot worse than I was. I'm barely in pain now. I was unconscious for a couple hours but they're guessing it's because of the shock and not the actual impact of the heart attack itself." I nodded as he spoke. "But thank you for coming, hope this didn't impact anything back home for you."

"I was actually at a party for Riley. Her family and her almost moved to London but they knew they're home was with all of us, so they couldn't. We were all just celebrating, but it's okay." I looked down at my hands.

"I'm glad your not losing her. Is your mum with you? I know she got remarried and Shawn seems like a nice guy." I looked up so fast I'm pretty sure I got whiplash.

"Y-you spoke to Shawn?" I stuttered.

"Yeah. He phoned asking if I could sign papers about him becoming your legal dad."

"Oh." That was all I could say. What was I supposed to reply with?

"I'm glad you have a dad, Maya. I can tell he loves and cares for you and I'm thankful he and your mum have him."

"Look, Kermit. I'm glad you're okay and you're gonna be okay, but I can't do this. I had the impression you were going to be in this coma and never gonna wake up, so I got asked if I wanted to come say goodbye to you. That's clearly not the case. I am happy. I have Riley, my parents, Josh-"

"Josh?" He questioned. "I don't think I met him.

"No, no you didn't. He's outside waiting for me. Take care Kermit." I sympathetically smiled at him and left the room.

Josh's POV

"Let's go." I looked up to see Maya rushing over to me.

"Leaving so soon?" Helen asked her.

"I'm glad he's going to be okay. But he knows he's not my father since he signed those adoption certificates, so I don't really need to be here. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but I need to look after myself and be there for my family. Goodbye Helen, hope you both take care and stay safe." She grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the elevator.

"And breathe." I said making her chuckle as we stepped inside. "I completely agree with what you said."

"Really?" She questioned. The doors opened at the bottom and we stepped out and started walking back to my car, still holding hands.

"Well yeah, 'cause you're right. He signed those certificates saying you're not legally his kid anymore and he was never really a father to you anyway. You're allowed to not want to see him and associate with him and if they're decent humans, then they should see that too. Shawn is your dad Maya. We all know how much he loves and cares for you just like every good father should care for his caring, sweet, rebellious, talented, artistic, smart, teenage daughter." I said making her smile as I opened the passenger side car door for her before going round to the drivers side and climbing in, then both of us got buckled up.

Maya's POV

I don't deserve Josh. I hate that I was getting more and more attached to him.

"Thank you Josh. Seriously. Thank you for bringing me here, thank you for paying for the hotel, and most other things, and thank you for just being the best." I smiled at him and he started the car.

"Don't worry about it. Now, what do you want to do?" He asked me, pulling out of the hospital carpark.

"Well it's 2pm so I guess we could maybe go to a mall? There has to be one around here somewhere." I whipped out my phone from my pocket and opened Google maps. "According to this map there's a mall about 40 minutes away and it has a massive arcade with a bowling alley."

"I'm in. If the bowling alley is free, I challenge you to a game." Josh smirked.

"Fine. Bit you're gonna lose." I smirked back.

"Don't be so big-headed. If you're so sure you're going to win you better start thinking what you want." He teased then went back to focus on the round as we neared a very busy roundabout.

Josh. Josh was all I wanted. But of course, I couldn't have him.