Chapter 18

The next morning after Heather showered and ate, she dressed, and then headed into the city. She needed a dress for the evening, and she knew where to get one.

A while later she walked out of the store, the dress hanging over her arm in a garment bag, and new shoes, and then after putting it in the trunk of her rental car, she headed to the police station.

When she walked in, a few heads turned towards her, and the men looked at her appreciatively. She ignored them, and was headed to Grisham's office when she was intercepted by Wade.

"May I help you?"

"Yes," she said, using her German accent. "I am looking for Chief Grisham."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"Yes, I do," she nodded.

"Come with me then," Wade said, and Heather followed him. Wade knocked on the office door.

"Come in," the Chief said.

Wade opened the door. "Chief, a young lady is here to see you?"

Grisham looked up at her, curiosity on his face.

"Karen Atwood sir," she said.

He looked surprised for a moment, then he stood. "Yes, of course, come in. Wade this is the new detective I just hired," he grinned and motioned for her to sit. She did so, gingerly, and he noticed.

"You can stay Wade," Grisham said, "but close the door."

Wade nodded and did as told, but he didn't sit.

"So, Detective, it is nice that you made it. How was your flight?" Grisham asked.

"It was pleasant."

"Good. Wade, I would like you to meet your new partner, Karen Atwood, she is a Lieutenant Detective from, where is it?"

"California sir."

"But you have a German accent?"

"I was born in Germany sir. Moved to the states when I was a teenager."

"I see," Grisham nodded. "So, Karen, we will need to fill out some paperwork, do you have your identification?"

"Yes sir," she said, and handed it to him.

He nodded, as he looked it over. "Your hair color is different," he said.

"Yes sir, I like to stay in disguise. I have too many enemies."

"So, what I am seeing now is not the real you?"

"Well, the hair color is real, for now, and I am wearing contacts sir."

"I see, so detective, when can you start?"

"As soon as possible sir, but might I have tomorrow night off? I was invited to the Policeman's ball at Mr. Wayne's."

"How did you get an invite to that?" Wade asked her.

"My father and Mr. Wayne's father worked together. I have known Mr. Wayne for a few years."

"I see," Wade nodded, trying to keep his mind on other things, instead of the beautiful woman who sat next to him.

"Have you found a place to live yet?" Grisham asked her.

"Not yet sir. I am just at a hotel, but I am sure I will find someplace to stay. Mr. Wayne offered to let me stay there for a bit until I could find my own place."

"That is very generous of him."

"Well, that was fast," Wade muttered.

"What do you mean Wade?" Grisham asked.