Chapter17

After Karen knew that everyone was asleep, she snuck out of the house, leaving behind a note saying, "I will miss you guys, hope you will forgive me one day, Karen," and then she was gone. She pulled out her phone and called a cab, having it meet her down the street, and then she had him take her to a hotel. She went to her room after checking in, and then fell instantly asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

The alarm woke her at six. Heather got up and showered, keeping her bandage as dry as possible, and then she dressed, ate breakfast from room service, and after checking out, she called a cab to take her to the airport. She would fly to New York, she didn't want to wait any longer. She wanted to see Bruce. But when she registered for her ticket, it was under a false name, and then she purchased a separate plane ticket under her other assumed name, to put the men off her trail, because she knew that they would follow her.

Before they called for her flight, she dialed Bruce. He picked up on the first ring.

"Hello," she said.

"Hi my love, are you okay?"

"I am, but do not come and get me."

"Why not? Have you changed your mind?" he asked, sounding disappointed.

"No, of course not. I will meet you there. I just decided I was sick of it here, so I am leaving today."

"Are you flying?"

"Yes, I am, thanks to your generous donation, thank you."

"You are most welcome. You promise you will buy you something beautiful for Saturday?"

"Of course. If Don or Charles calls you, tell them that you have not heard from me, okay?"

"What happened?"

"Don ticked me off, but it isn't a big deal."

"What happened love?"

"He wanted me to stay and work for him, I didn't want too."

"I am glad. I want you for myself."

"He likes me, a lot, but I turned him down. I think that is why he is upset."

"Does he not know how much we care about each other?"

"Obviously not."

"Well, I will have to change that, when will I see you?"

"Tomorrow."

"Not until then?"

"I don't want anyone to know I am in town. I need to stay hidden."

"Of course you do. I will look forward to our meeting then. Will I know you?"

"I am sure you will," Heather smiled, "if not, I will come up and kiss you, just to make sure you do know who I am," she chuckled.

Bruce laughed. "I like that idea. Until then my love. I love you and miss you."

"I love and miss you," she said, and then hung up as her flight was called.

At six, Charles got up and went to shower, he then ate breakfast, and nodded as Don walked in, yawning.

"Is Karen up yet?" Don asked.

"I haven't seen her."

"I feel bad I upset her last night. I suppose I should go apologize to her, before she leaves. I just wish I could talk her into staying."

"I am sure you can try bro, but she really cares for Bruce, and you know it."

"She said if I had tried to date her before she had met Bruce, maybe I would have had a chance," Don recalled, shaking his head.