Chapter 15

It was late that night when Bruce found the message on his desk. He had been in his cave working on something to help round up more Scorpions with Grisham. He had left his phone in his office and had forgotten to take it with him downstairs, so when he saw the message, he was upset. He had missed Heather's call, and he had wanted to talk to her so badly. She had called around seven, and it was after ten now, he knew she would be asleep by now.

"Call me back," he whispered, "I want to talk with you; I miss you."

Alfred walked into the room then and saw Bruce holding the note in his hands.

"Who is Karen?" Alfred asked him.

"She is a very good friend of mine. How did she sound when she called?"

"She sounded tired."

"Oh. I hope she is okay."

"You sound like you like her more than a friend," Alfred accused.

"I am hoping to make her more than a friend," Bruce admitted.

"I thought you loved the detective or did you get over her already?"

"Karen reminds me of Heather," Bruce smiled.

"I couldn't place her accent. She sounds like she is from Germany."

"Yes, I think she is," Bruce smiled again, glad that Alfred had not recognized Heather's voice.

"She said she would call at a later time," Alfred informed him. "I don't know why you can't call her."

"Because I do not have her number."

"And it did not come up on your phone either, which is odd."

"I think she is on one of those prepaid phones," Bruce replied.

"I see, and why would she not leave her number?"

"She isn't supposed too. She has some weirdo after her, and she is trying to hide from him, so she calls me and lets me know that she is okay."

Alfred nodded. "Well, goodnight Bruce."

"Goodnight, Alfred, and I will try to remember to keep my phone with me."

"That would be a good idea," Alfred nodded and walked out the door.

The next morning, Heather got out of bed, and feeling better, she headed to the kitchen and was glad that Edwin wanted to cook for her.

"Ed, do you think it would be safe for me if I went to the FBI office today?"

"Do you feel up to it?" he asked her.

"I think so. I don't want to stay long. I just want to know what is going on."

"Sure. I need to do some paperwork anyway. How about we go as soon as you are ready."

"Thanks," Heather said, and after eating her breakfast, she went to her room.

Annie helped Heather get dressed so she wouldn't hurt her ribs, and soon Heather was ready to go. She looked like a totally different person and hoped that no one would recognize her. Ed drove and soon the three of them were at the FBI office. Annie helped Heather from the car and they walked inside and up to the fifth floor.

"I will go and see Don," Heather said, as they went their separate ways. Ed promised to meet her in an hour in Don's office.

She drew a few curious stares, but no one stopped her, seeing that she had come in with Ed and the others.

Heather saw that Don was in his office and speaking on the phone. He hung up as she walked in.

"May I help you?" he asked her, wondering who she was. She looked familiar, but he couldn't place her.