Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Dad huh?" I asked teasing him.

"Stop it." The young man said avoiding eye contact.

"I can't because first it's my job to observe these things and second the last time you called him "Your sperm donor"." I commented quoting him.

"Yeah well put it down in your books that I called him dad today." Sam said looking up.

He was being sarcastic but I just nodded and smiled.

"Already done. It's all in here." I said tapping my temple.

Another thing I did different was avoid taking notes during our session. Kids felt more intimidated if they saw you writing down everything they said. So I just sat with them and we talked and I summarized our sessions when they left.

"Make any new friends?" I asked to break the silence.

He shook his head but I knew he was lying because as soon as I asked that question he shifted in his seat and his movements in the cube halted.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" I asked.

"Are you a psychic or something?" He asked looking up.

"So there is someone? Tell me all about then." I asked.

" Nope."

"You know how this goes. You either tell me or we can sit in silence for the whole session and ill ask you the same thing next time and the cycle will continue until you decide to talk." I informed him.

He exhaled loudly and straightened up. I bit my lip to hide my smile because I knew I had won.

"I'll tell you but it doesn't mean anything." He defended.

I raised my arms in surrender " You're the boss." I declared and he smiled.

Sam was a great kid. His only fault was his ego. Feed that and he'll give you what you want. Insult his ego and you'll get the rough side of him. I had learnt how and when to do what when it came to that ego of his to get what I wanted from him. Calling him the boss to me was feeding his ego so he felt in control of the situation. He wasn't really but it would hurt for him to think he was as long as I got what I wanted from him.

"Okay so her name is Jane." He began.

"So it's a she huh?" I asked smiling and he blushed.

I think this Jane lady was more special than I thought.

"Yeah and before you assume anything nothing is going on. We are just new friends." He said getting defensive real quick meaning he had something to hide.

She was more than a friend.

"Am not assuming anything. Go on. Tell me more about this Jane girl who is just a new friend." I egged him on.

This time I insulted his ego a little to get a reaction from him and I did because he frowned.

"Yeah she wishes she was more than a friend." He grunted.

"She wished or you wish." I asked.

"She does." He replied his voice a little raised meaning he was getting agitated. Time to dial it down.

"Okay why don't you tell me about her. Like how you met and how old she is." I replied and he visibly relaxed. Not completely but enough to know that he had calmed down.

"She recently moved into our apartment building. She is the same age as me and enrolled into my school and was put in my class. It's as if I can't escape her." He ranted out.