Chapter Twenty Three

Two years later.

I loved my job. I had been working here for the past three years ever since graduation and I had no complaints. It wasn't exactly my dream job but it was what i felt most fulfilled doing. It allowed me to meet new people and help them. I mainly worked with teenagers and kids. I was more of a guidance counselor than a psychiatrist because to become a certified psychiatrist I needed like eight more years of school and work and I didn't have it in me to do more schooling. I opted for the next best thing. I worked with a non profit organization that worked with communities to help the less privileged. To put it simply I helped kids who were from the rougher parts see a future in education and good behavior rather than crime and drugs. I couldn't help everyone but I really did try to. Those that I did manage to help made me feel fulfilled and those that I couldn't I prayed for them and hoped for the best. My work was fulfilling and made me feel that I was contributing something to the society.

Today had been no different and I was waiting for my last appointment of the day. My office building was located in a pretty nice area but close enough to where all my clients came from. To make my office less intimidating I made sure to make it more age appropriate for my clients. Instead of a desk and stiff chairs I had bean bags and fluffy pillows with a small coffee table. I did have a desk but it was pushed to one corner. I had posters on my walls of people this kids admire like musicians and actors. To be honest I was a fan of them too. I also had candy bars and sweets in a bowl, a few games so we could play while we talked like a few Rubik's cube that had never been solved but it was fun to try, Jenga wooden blocks, dice games and cards too. I was a cool counsellor if I do say so myself.

I also made sure to dress less formal to avoid intimidating the my clients. Today was no different because I was dressed in Nike sweatpants, a matching hoodie and beanie with black sneakers. There was a knock on the door and I immediately welcomed them in. Time to get down to business.

In walked in a young man aged fourteen and his dad who I wasn't quite sure of his age but he was definitely around forty or more. They looked very alike but there was tension given by the distance between them.

"Miss Irungu. Am just here to drop off Sam." The older man, Mr. Njogu as I call him spoke first.

"I don't need dropping off." Sam grunted as he dropped himself in the bean bag opposite me.

"Well we don't want a repeat of last time do we?" His dad asked.

"It was one time dad, one time." At least he called him dad this time which means I was making progress. He usually had some very colorful words to describe his dad with.

"Until you show some responsibility I'll be dropping you off and picking you up to prevent you from avoiding sessions and going to the arcade with your friends. Now if you'll excuse me Sam, Miss Irungu I'll see you both when the session is over." He excused himself and left closing the door behind him.

I had been silent during the whole exchange to observe their relationship and how it was growing. When Sam was first brought here two months ago he was a wreck. He had just discovered weed and was hanging out with the wrong crowd. Believe me I have nothing against people who smoke weed because I do it myself occasionally, as long as you do it responsibly. Anyway Sam's grades dropped, he started skipping school and causing trouble for neighbors with stupid pranks and stealing money from his parents. His dad decided enough was enough and he brought him to me and I was seeing a difference in him. For example,during the first session he had he stood by the door the whole time without saying a word and when it was over he left so quickly it's as if he was on fire. Now he just comes sits, grabs a Rubik's cube and waits for the session to start. For me that's progress because it means he trusts me or he knows he has no option so he has to go along with it. Whatever the case for me it's growth.