Chapter 30

A knock at the door caught Athanase's attention, and he turned away from the window

"Enter."

The door handle twisted, and Liam stepped into the office. "Your Highness, you have a visitor," he announced.

Athanase was surprised when he saw the look of slight irritation in his bodyguard's eyes, which piqued his curiosity since the man was always composed and dignified. "Who is it?"

Liam made a look that was between a grimace and annoyance. "The boy from the House of Alpheus—Lord Ezekiel, I believe his name is. He said he wishes to speak with you," he informed the prince.

If Athanase was surprised, he didn't show it. What is Ezzy doing here?

"Sire, since we're marching soon, should I tell him to leave?" Liam queried, snapping him out of his thoughts.

The prince looked down and contemplated for a second before a smile graced his lips. "No. It wouldn't hurt to talk to a friend before leaving, will it?" he said with a soft voice.

Liam frowned and said slowly, "I suppose not." He turned around and led Athanase to a room across the hall, where the young Alpheus was residing in. He stopped in front of a door and pushed it open for the prince, nodding when he mouthed 'thank you' to him.

Athanase stepped inside the room and felt a smile made its way onto his face when he saw the back of a familiar silver head. "It's been a while. I trust you've been doing well?"

Ezekiel turned around at the voice and lit up when he saw Athanase. He quickly bowed and nodded with a minuscule smile. "Indeed, Your Highness," he replied humbly.

The smile on Athanase's lips instantly disappeared.

Your Highness? What happened to that cute nickname he always called me—Naz?

Athanase ignored the slight heartthrob in his chest and sits down on a sofa. He crossed his legs and intertwined his fingers above his lap. "If I had known you were coming to visit, I would've prepared tea and delicacies beforehand," he told Ezekiel, silently gesturing his friend to sit.