Chapter 16

Omg! You guys' comments on Chap 14 are so adorable~ Who else do you want to have a quick one-shot with Athanase? ;)
_____________________________________________

People say when you feel a little sick in the stomach upon meeting someone you're attracted to, it could very well be love at first sight. Athanase have never believed in that kind of stuff. The thought of that was just merely impossible. But now, he was confused. Was this what Athanase was feeling - love at first sight? His heart raced at the very sight of Jennette's radiant smile and it felt like butterflies were fluttering in his guts.

Just what is this feeling?

Jennette noticed Athanase and Claude and blushed. "Ah, pardon me, Your Majesties. I was too forward." She curtsied and chanted, "Blessings and glory upon the suns of the Obelian Empire."

Athanasia turned sickly pale. She quickly rushed to her and gently took the ribbon from Jennette's hand. "I just realized I'd lost it! Thank you for returning it to me!" she said sweetly with a forced smile.

"It's my pleasure, princess," the brunette beamed.

"You look familiar. Have we met before?" Athanase spoke flatly, staring at her in disinterest.

Jennette looked a little crestfallen before tilting her head cutely and sent him a closed-eyed smile. "My name is Jennette Margarita, Your Highness. It's been a while," she said with a lovely voice.

Athanasia flinched.

Claude grimaced. When the girl smiled, he momentarily saw Penelope in her place and felt sickened. But when she began talking to his son as if they were familiar with each other, he felt disgusted and had the urge to tear her limbs apart.

Athanase had an unreadable expression on his face and was silent for a moment until he finally spoke. "Indeed, it has. I remember seeing you when you were so small. Now, you've grown into such a beautiful young lady," he complimented her.

Jennette turned red and placed her hand against her chest, feeling her heart thumping fast. She expressed her gratitude shyly, "T-Thank you, Your Highness."

Felix flickered his eyes between the two in suspicion. What kind of relationship do they have? And why does it bother him so much?

"So you're that child Alpheus has taken under wing," Claude quickly intervened, making sure to keep his anger in check before speaking.

Jennette's eyes lit up. "Have you heard of me before?!" she exclaimed, hopeful.

Claude's eyes widened a fraction in surprise for a brief second before raising a brow and hummed.

'S-She's the real deal Jennette, alright!' thought Athanasia, sweat-dropping.

"You're quite bold. Is it because you were raised by the Alpheus?" remarked Claude.

Jennette flinched and laughed sheepishly. "M-My apologies," she squeaked.

Athanase's heart ached at the sight of sadness swirling in the young girl's eyes and had the urge to hug her. He raised his hand to touch her but froze mid-way. Athanase dropped his hand and scowled at himself. 'What the hell is happening to me? Should I get Lucas to check on me?' He contemplated for a second before shaking his head. 'No, maybe not. That boy hates being around me as long as I remember,' he thought glumly.

Athanasia tensed when she saw Athanase attempted to reach out to her but stopped half-way. It was obvious he was about to comfort her, but why? .... D-Did he... Did he fall in love with Jennette? Athanasia turned ashen. N-No way, that can't be, right? Her brother was never interested in romance or having a relationship, so there was no way that could be it. Right?