Chapter 7

Previously on The Lovely Princess & Her Knightly Brother

"Your Highness, it's getting late. Shall we get going?" I heard Liam asked. I nodded my head at him. We walked away from a stand, and I made a sharp turn to the corner. I bumped into a hard chest and felt them firmly hold my shoulders from stumbling backward. I looked up and open my mouth to apologize but immediately shut it when I saw who it was. In front of me stood a tall man that resembled Claude, and had dark hair and matching dark eyes. My mouth slightly opened in shock, Anastacius? Wha--Why--How??

The man looks down at me before his dark eyes widened in surprise. "Oh~? You must be His Majesty's son, the Crown Prince Athanase," I heard him said. He puts his hand on his chest and lowered his head, "It's a pleasure to meet you." He sent me an eerie fake smile. I stare up at him with wide eyes. Only one word came to thought.

FUCK

***

I forced a smile on my face and nodded politely, "Likewise."

On the outside, I was calm and composed. But I was panicking and screaming inside. I couldn't believe it. It's been seven years since I've last seen Anastacius [my uncle and the previous Emperor who corrupted the Obelian Empire], and I'd never expected to meet the doom of Obelia itself so soon. 

'Why is Anastacius here? Shouldn't he be doing -- I don't know -- some kind of voodoo magic or something right now?!'  I thought in horror. 

"May I inquire why Your Highness is here at this hour?" I heard him ask.

I tried keeping my voice calm and steady, anxiously hoping he wouldn't see how edgy I was. "I wanted to examine the village's new products," I told him.

Truthfully, I was only here so I can see the village with my own eyes since I was intrigued about what it looked like in real life. Not to mention, I was an adventurous kid in my previous life, so I couldn't stay in one specific place for too long. And that trait nevertheless still carries within me now.

"Ah, I see," nodded Anastacius. Then, he asked passionately, "Would Your Highness spare me some of your time? I would like us to have tea together."

I stiffened. Liam noticed this and quickly took action. He stood protectively in front of me with a firm gaze settled on his expressionless features. Liam frowned, "I'm afraid that is not possible. The Crown Prince must return to the palace before midnight. Furthermore, it is insolent that a nobleman such as yourself hasn't introduced himself yet before His Royal Highness. And to invite His Royal Highness to tea? At this hour?" He slowly grasped the hilt of his sword and glared fiercely at Anastacius. "You must have ulterior motives, sir."

Anastacius' eyes darkened at Liam. Then, he looked pensively at me. I tensed. Sadness swirled in his dark eyes, and he let out a sigh. He lowered his head, "Pardon my discourtesy, Your Highness." A pained smile appeared on his face, and he bowed elegantly. "I shall take my leave now. Blessings and glory upon the future sun of the Obelian Empire."

I stared at his retreating figure. An air of melancholy surrounded him that made me feel... No! I shook my head firmly. How can I feel sympathy for him?! Get your head together, (R/n)! He is the enemy! A scum! I can't fall for his tricks nor charms as Jennette had in the novel and manhwa. I can't be fooled by him! But then...why does he look at me with such longing and sadness in his eyes?

"Let us return to the palace, Your Highness." Liam's distinctive voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I nodded in agreement and got in the luxurious carriage. As I stare thoughtfully out the window, there were many things I had in mind all at once. For instance, why did I run into Anastacius sooner than I expected?