Chapter Seven

This stupid piece of junk car of mine is going to be the death of me. It’s literally a fûcking death trap and I refuse to have my children in it. Thanks to the freezing weather we’ve been having, and the fact that I’ve been parking outside because my garage is still full of boxes, the brakes are going out. The Lexus dealership won’t actually be open again until the new year so I’m stuck either getting a rental or staying my ass at home for the day.

Nicole came by earlier and picked me up to get our nails done before the big New Year’s Eve bash at our mutual friend’s nightclub tonight. It was good seeing her and filling her in on everything that’s been happening in my crazy life. She was so enthralled with listening to my story, the nail technician had to ask her four times what color polish she wanted. Her advice by the end of my blabbing was to follow my heart, like that ever works for any one.

“Kids! Yall had better be dressed and ready by the time your grandparents get here! We’re leaving out the door at the same time!”

I don’t get a response but I don’t expect to. More than likely they’re little bad asses have been playing instead of getting dressed like I told them to an hour ago once we got back from the nail salon. I let Gracie get her nails painted while Bentley sat and watched TV so Nicole and I could talk freely, however we still used code names.

I put the finishing touches on my makeup and pop in diamond studs before sliding on the bracelet Dave bought me. The long sleeve white skater dress I slip into accentuates my breasts yet comfortably hides my food baby I got from an earlier chow down session. I slip a black leather belt through the loops and button it before checking to make sure the keyhole back of the dress looks centered. Grabbing my white Louboutins and black clutch I rush towards the stairs and call the kids.

Rumbling on the staircase can be heard until I yell for them to stop running before they fall and break their necks.

“You look beautiful Mommy.” Bentley chimes, putting on his coat.

“Yeah I like your hair to the side. Can you do mine like that?” Gracie adds.

“Thanks babies,” I squat down to zip their jackets, “I’ll do your hair like this for your next recital okay Gracie?”

She nods and I kiss both of them on the forehead before slipping into my own coat. A knock on the door sounds and I open the door for my dad.

“You guys ready to have a fun New Year countdown with your g-parents?” he asks.

They high-five him and cheer before running to the car.

“Hey! No hug for your mom?” I ask arms outstretched.

They come back and hug me tightly, groaning when I kiss their cheeks. “Be good for your grandparents. I’ll pick you up tomorrow after lunch.”

I give my dad a hug and as soon as he releases me Nicole pulls up. We all say our goodbyes before pulling off in separate directions.

*

This has got to be the best party I’ve ever been to. My favorite liquor is stocked and it’s an open bar for Nicole and I since we know the owner. The DJ has been playing the right songs all night, just enough Rap, R&B, and Pop to keep the party going. We’re about an hour and a half from counting down to midnight when my phone starts to ring. Luckily I’m in the bathroom and can answer it.

“Aria! I’m so sorry baby…oh God. I’m so sorry,” I hear my mom crying into the phone.

“Mom! What’s happening? Mom!”

My father takes the phone, he sounds calmer than my mom but I can still hear the nerves in his voice, “Pumpkin, are you there?”

“Yeah dad, what is going on?”

He sighs, “The kids overheard us talking about you and David and everything he put you through…they ran out of the house and we can’t find them.”

At that moment my entire world stops spinning. My heart rate is through the roof and I know it’s not the liquor. I can barely hear my father talking over my own heavy breathing and the blood rushing behind my ears.

“Pumpkin can you hear me? I said we’re looking for them, we can come and get you if you want.”

“No!” I yell, regaining my bearings, “I’ll come to you. Just keep looking.”

Immediately I hang up the phone and call Nicole. I haven’t seen her for the past hour of the party so calling her would be a long shot, one that missed. I hang up without a second thought and call Daniel, he lives the closest to here and even though he’s mad at me there’s no way he wouldn’t come for his niece and nephew. I’m met with his voicemail message and growl out loud, hanging up. David’s number is next on the list and I close my eyes praying that he’ll answer. He lives further out and it’ll take longer for him to get here so I might end up taking a taxi, however he should at least know his children are missing. I slap my forehead for not thinking of that first.                 

“Hello!” I can hear the sounds of music pumping in the background that quickly dies down.

“David! Oh thank God. The twins, they heard my parents talking about our relationship…it upset them,” I take a moment to gather my thoughts. It’s harder than I thought telling him what’s happening.

“So do I need to do damage control or,” he interjects, drifting off.

“They ran away David. My parents are out looking for them now but I need a ride from this party I’m at to help them search.”

I hear his breath hitch before he speaks again, “Where are you?”

***********

A/N

Uh oh! Where are the twins?? 

Dave to the rescue!?! Oh snap!

Short and Sweet but keep reading you're almost to the good stuff (;