Chapter Six

Avoiding Dave for a month has been ridiculously difficult. Whenever it comes time for the kids to get dropped off or picked up I con one of my parents into doing it. A few months ago the kids convinced me to allow their father to come over so we could all spend Christmas together. I know how much they hated having to have it early at Dave’s last year and then on time here without him so I caved. Our relationship had improved and the kids loved having him around so of course I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal. But that was before our awkward exchange a month ago and with the holiday right around the corner I know my time for avoidance is dwindling down. In a day he’ll be right here in my living room and there’s not a damned thing I can do about it.

“You’re getting so tall I don’t think I’ll have to lift you up to do this anymore,” Dan says, lifting Gracie up to put the angel on top of the tree.

She focuses on placing the brown-skinned angel in just the right spot, holding her little hands up in front of her face like a frame.

“Perfect,” she says with a smile, “But I don’t think I’ll ever be as tall as you Uncle D! You’ll probably still have to lift me even when I’m as old as Mommy!”

“Hey!” I exclaim, placing a hand on my hip, “Just how old do you think I am?”

She shrugs her tiny shoulders. “I dunno. You’re old enough to have me and Bentley so probably like,” she taps her little chin, “forty!”

My eyes bulge and Dan falls over laughing.

“Get out of here and go play with your brother,” I playfully swat her butt and she hops to it.

I feel strong warm arms slide around my waist. “So not only are you a MILF but you’re a Cougar too? Perfect,” Dan whispers into my ear before kissing behind it.

I elbow him softly, “Stop it. What if the kids see?”

He turns me to face him and hoists me up over his shoulder making me squeal. I watch the dark hardwood floors change to the beige granite flooring of the kitchen. A door closes and darkness surrounds us until he turns the light on in the walk in pantry.

“You are so weird,” I mutter but I can’t help my smile.

He kisses my lips softly and I rise to my toes to meet his lips. Soft and slightly wet I melt into his mouth with a low moan that drives him crazy.

“I love you so much,” he whispers over my skin, moving to kiss my neck.

“I love you too Dave,” I whisper back, my breath catching when I realize my mistake.

Dan jumps back from me like I’m on fire. There isn’t much room in the closet but somehow he makes it feel like the Grand Canyon is between us.

 “I didn’t mean that - I – He’s just on my mind because he’s coming over tomorrow to have Christmas - with the kids,” I sputter out, none of my sentences end before a new one starts.

He sighs and nods his head, “Right.”

The door to the pantry swings open before he can say anything else and both of us jump as if we were doing something we shouldn’t be.

“Hi Mommy! Hi Uncle D! What are you guys doing in here?” Bentley asks his head turned to the side like a curious puppy.

“We’re uh-,” Dan starts but looks to me for support.

“We’re getting you and your sister a snack. Aren’t you two hungry after all of that playing a decorating?” I interject with a soft smile. I’m so thankful for this distraction I’ll feed them anything they want tenfold.