Breath of the Void: Chapter 18

Once again, a shorter chapter but it's a bit of a setup. Anyways, the next chapter that gets released is going to be the last for a bit, since on Aug 17th I move back on campus and the 18th, College starts again. There'll probably be adjustments in the posting schedule then, so sorry about that. Also sorry that it's late again, life is hard.

————————

News on the attack on the Smith Village reached the Pillars' ears quite quickly.

Musashi and Kyojuro had both been too far away to help, though Kanroji had been close enough to be able to, which certainly was a relief. Of the outcomes from the battle at the Smith Village, the most startling was the newfound information of Nezuko's resistance to the sun. Her human mentality was coming back, according to the reports, and she could say small phrases without trouble.

But no matter how interesting or impressive, it was beside the point.

An Emergency Pillar Meeting had been called by the Master.

Tokito and Kanroji were up on their feet again, and without Uzui, their numbers were nine, but all of them made it to the estate without hesitation.

Shinaguzawa was irritated as they waited, annoyed that he hadn't gotten to fight any Upper Moons, though Iguro had told him that it wasn't like they popped up like the common ilk. Himejima was been silently praying, sitting at the head of the group with his head bowed and hands together. Both Musashi and Kyojuro glanced at each other as Iguro and Shinazugawa were glowering at each other— They were both glad that the two Pillars managed to make it out unscathed, but to hope to meet an Upper Moon?

Akaza had been a trial, though that had been partially the fault of Musashi for not using Six Realms Five Planes: The Divine Figure of Kurikara right from the gate. That said, if Shinazugawa or any of the rest of the Pillars were to encounter a Moon who was a Slayer previously on their own? Well, it could get... messy.

"It's good that you two are alright, nonetheless," Musashi voiced, smiling a bit at Kanroji and Tokito. "Ahh, If we were a day later then we could've helped."

Kanroji giggled. "Don't worry too much about it, Musashi," she said as Tokito nodded silently.

She smiled again as Himejima's prayer beads rattled a bit. "We should proceed with caution, however," he rumbled, "Uzui's retirement is regrettable and while it is noble indeed that both Kanroji and Tokito were able to defeat an Upper Moon each, losing more Pillars would cause a problem as of now."

"Umu," Kyojuro agreed, nodding. "Though that seems as if that's why we're gathered today!"

The rest of the pillars nodded, lapsing into silence before sitting up straight and orienting themselves to face the doors as they opened. Ubuyashiki, along with Amane, Kiriya, and Kanta entered.

In unison, the Pillars' hands hit the tatami flooring as they bowed.

"It is most honorable to be in your presence, Oyakata-sama," Himejima said calmly, head bowed. "We pray for your safety in these times."

The blind, but no longer cursed, man smiled gently as he sat in front of him, Amane at his side and his children sitting on either side of their parents.

"Thank you, my children," he said as the nine of them sat back up. "I'm sure you have all heard, but we now have another demon who has conquered the sun among our ranks," the man started the meeting off and Shinazugawa, Iguro, and Tomioka tensed slightly as they caught the word 'another' in the sentence. Tokito seemed to be more alert upon hearing it, and both Kanroji and Kocho startled. Himejima, Kyojuro, and herself didn't move. They were the only three who already knew, after all. They would be breaching the topic later.