Off all the restaurants in New York City

Part 5: Off all the restaurants in New York City

It was a typical Sunday morning, I was eating breakfast while reading the New York Times, and Rachel was still sleeping, exhausted from the Funny Girl rehearsals the day before. I was feeling a lot better, in fact, I was meeting up with Sam and Artie later to get some lunch. Sam and Artie were old friends from high school, we had all been in glee club together. Artie went to film school in Brooklyn and Sam had come to New York to pursue a modelling career, but that hadn't really worked out for him yet.

I was washing my dishes when my phone buzzed and I almost dropped a cup. I checked my phone and saw I got a text from Artie, much to my disappointment. I had hoped it would be from Blaine. Artie asked if Rachel was coming and if she was, he wanted to know if she could pick him up. Rachel had received a town car with a driver from her director, which she was really smug about. She could call her driver at any time of day and he would pick her up. I texted him back, telling him that Rachel had other places to be today. I felt bad for Artie, it certainly could not be easy for him to take the subway every day. He had been in an accident as a child and was paralyzed from the waist down. He had accepted the fact that he would have to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life long ago, but I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for him sometimes.

I checked my messages another time, just to make sure Blaine hadn't sent me anything yet. We had been texting one another all weekend. He was so amazing. Not only was he good-looking, he was also nice and funny and so, so talented. Not even five minutes later, my phone buzzed with a text from Blaine.

Kurt! Look what I found, only $5!!!!

Attached to the message was a picture of two shirts and a bow tie. I chuckled and wondered again why Rachel was so convinced he was straight. I quickly typed a response.

Wow, you go, Anderson!

He replied almost immediately.

Pretty impressive, huh? ;)
-
Don't get cocky now, you can't beat me when it comes to being fashionable but also broke
-
Challenge accepted!

I laughed harder than I should have.

So, Kurt, got any plans today?
-
Yes, lunch with some old friends, you?
-
Bummer, I have nothing to do today.

The thought of canceling lunch with Sam and Artie crossed my mind briefly, but we had planned this two weeks ago.

Sorry, wish I could keep you company. :(
-
That's okay, you go have fun :) But I am keeping you to your promise of taking me to that Mexican place one time... Soon...

I giggled and hoped Rachel hadn't heard me.

Of course!
-
Good, and I found this book the other day, I think you would really like it.

We texted for another hour before I broke it off to go and take a quick shower. I got dressed, fixed my hair, grabbed my coat and headed out after I had asked Rachel one more time if she really didn't want to come, but she said she had to meet with someone else. I wasn't sure where. The trip to the restaurant took longer than usual because I missed the train twice. The first time, I was too late, the second time it was so full, I couldn't get on. It was unusually busy. There was probably some kind of event going on. I made it to the restaurant eventually, but twenty minutes late.

"Kurt, I almost thought you weren't going to show up!" Sam said when I sat down at the table.

"Sorry I'm late, I had some trouble getting here." I sighed. "You haven't ordered yet, have you?"