Coffee

Part 7: Coffee

"Kurt? Hey, are you listening?" Rachel waved her hand in front of my face. "Focus, please."

I sighed as a pleasant daydream faded. Blaine's face disappeared and I was back in the loft on Rachel's bed. I looked at her with an annoyed expression. "Do I really have to listen to this?"

"Yes." Rachel hit me lightly on my leg, I raised an eyebrow. "And since when are you not interested in my dating life?"

"Since you started dating Jesse again." I said flatly.

"Oh, come on, Kurt. We are all adults now. Everything has changed, and by the way, I forgave him a long time ago." Rachel said.

"I know, and if you want to date him, I'm fine with that, but that does not mean I have to like him." I explained.

"The two of you barely know each other!"

"Rach..." I groaned.

"Oh, fine." She caved. "Can you at least tell me when you're going to ask Blaine out?" She wiggled her eyebrows at me. I groaned again.

"Stop it." I said

"Kurt, you obviously like him. You start to swoon the minute someone speaks his name." She teased. I blushed and tried to deny it.

"You hug each other. Male friends don't hug each other."

It had been more than a week, ten days to be exact, and I still couldn't forget about the hug Blaine gave me after we had spent Sunday evening together. "That's not true, male friends hug each other all the time. Besides, have you met me? I hug everyone."

She rolled her eyes. "The two of you get along really well. He is very handsome. You guys eat Indian food together and watch romantic movies." Rachel tried.

I gave up. "I don't even know if he's gay.." I mumbled.

Rachel frowned. "Hold up. You don't know if he's gay? Two weeks ago you were walking around saying that there was no way he was straight."

"I know," I sighed, "but he has never actually said that he's gay. So, what if I was wrong and he's just a really, fabulous, flawless straight man."

"Oh, Kurt." Rachel put her arms around me and squeezed me tight. "You'll never know if you never ask. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Really? Rachel?" I let out in dismay.

She chuckled. "Sorry, forget I said that." She let go of me and got up. "Anyway, I have to get going or I'll be late for rehearsal. Just ask him if he's gay, but without asking if he's gay."

I frowned. "What?"

"You know, ask him subtle questions." She ran a hand through her hair. "Do I look okay? I don't have time to shower."

I nodded impatiently. "You look gorgeous, what kind of questions?"

"I don't know, questions that help you determine whether he's gay or not like... How does he feel about Ryan Gosling?" She grinned.

I laughed.

"But, seriously, you have to take action or you have to stop having an enormous crush on him."

I sighed.

"But, I think he likes you." Rachel smiled. "If my opinion counts here."

"Noted." I smiled.

Rachel looked at her watch and the shocked expression on her face told me that she hadn't realized exactly how late it was. She said a rushed goodbye and hurried outside, her coat unbuttoned and almost tripping over her own feet. I followed her downstairs to wave her out and I chuckled as she said some ungraceful words when the wind messed up her hair. Her town car pulled up and she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before getting in. "Ask him out." She said before her driver closed the car's door.
After I climbed the stairs back up to our apartment, I sat down at the kitchen table, phone in hand and biting my lip. I decided I'd just ask him to hang out. Maybe he had class right now and wouldn't even reply. I sent the text and got up, leaving my phone on the table. I was determined to do something else and not to stare at my phone, waiting for his reply like a pathetic, insecure, teenage girl. I didn't even reach the couch before my phone chimed.