Heartache

Part 10: Heartache

I woke up confused. My eyelids were heavy and I barely managed to open them. I had no idea what time it was and what on earth had woken me up in, what I presumed to be, the middle of the night. I turned my head to the alarm clock on my bedside table and learned it was 12:30 AM. I sighed deeply and turned around. I closed my eyes again.

I was slightly aware of someone calling my name and touching my head, but I was in such a deep sleep that I didn't wake up. A little later, I realised someone was shaking my shoulders. I groaned and buried my head in the pillow.
"Kurt!" I heard. I mumbled to leave me alone.

"Kurt, it's your dad.." Rachel whispered.

I turned around in my bed and shook off her hands. I kept my eyes closed. Then, what she'd said hit me. It wasn't the first time someone had opened a sentence with that line.
My eyes flew open. Rachel was bending over me, her hand reaching for my shoulder again.

I didn't know what to do. I looked at her face, trying to determine if she was there with good or bad news. She looked worried, her eyebrows were creased. I could see some tears in her eyes. I suddenly felt like someone had dropped a stone on my chest.

"Carole called. Your dad.."

"What happened?" I asked. I held my breath.

"He.. He's in the hospital." Rachel said.

My face was blank for a little while. Then, I shot up. "No. No no no no." I threw off the covers and stood up. "No no no!" I yelled. Rachel jerked up in surprise when I raised my voice.
"Not again!" I said.

"Kurt.." Rachel said, but she didn't  know what else to say.

I grabbed my phone. Four missed calls. The first one from three hours ago. I had ignored it. I realised now why I had woken up earlier. My phone had been vibrating. I turned around and started putting on the first clothes I could find, not paying any attention to how not fashionable I was being. My hands were shaking so badly I almost called my friend Elliott, whose name was the next in my contact list, instead of Carole.

I waited and waited for her to pick up, what was merely seconds seemed like a thousand years.

"Kurt! Finally!" Carole picked up.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice now shaking as badly as my hands.

"Oh, Kurt." Carole had a hard time getting her words out, it was clear she was trying to refrain from crying. "The arrhythmia.. We sh-shouldn't have skipped the appointment. Oh God."

"What? Carole, please, what's going on?" I was on the verge of panic.

"His arrhythmia acted up again." Is all she managed to say.

In ten seconds I had my coat and wallet. I told Carole I was on my way. Rachel didn't manage to stop me before I was already halfway out the door. I kept repeating that I had to go.

"Kurt! Listen to me, it's one o'clock in the morning. You're not thinking clearly. You can't possibly just get on a plane to Ohio like that." She snapped her fingers.

"What is going on?" Santana had woken up. "Go back to bed, some of us need their beauty sleep and it's not me." She complained, yawning.

"I have to go." I said again, a little weary.

Rachel tried to reason with me. "Call Carole and hear how the situation is progressing, I will find the earliest flight to Ohio and get us on it."

Santana realised now that something was up and looked alarmed. "What's happening?"

Rachel ignored her completely. She just looked at me. "Okay? Kurt?"