ten - wolf out of the bag

Start from the beginning

Snorting, Josiah glanced at his mother before looking back at the pale Doctor, "Josiah Lahote." Doctor Cullen noded, a lopsided smile on his face.

Something about the pale man seemed off to Josiah; the young soldier couldn't help but stare at him with a blank look, trying to read him. Doctor Carlisle Cullen did his usual routine with Mary Allen along with the occasional questions about her health and any struggles she's been having regarding her blood pressure. Josiah Lahote remained silent throughout the whole appointment but was unable to take his eyes off of the extremely pale doctor. Something about him seemed familiar to the young soldier.

"Well," Doctor Cullen finished listening to Mary's heart and set his stethoscope back around his neck, "Everything seems to be good Ms. Allen; I will give you your usual prescription for your pills and you are good to go."

Mary gave the doctor a thankful smile, "Thank you Doctor Cullen."

Josiah rubbed his tired eyes. He had not been able to sleep well for the past couple of nights which was clearly noticeable for the Doctor.

"Josiah, was it?" At the mention of his name the young soldier squinted his eyes at the doctor, a migraine starting to pound against his head.

"When was the last time you slept?" Josiah gave the Doctor a questioning look.

"Umm... a couple of days?" It was more of a question than an answer. Doctor Cullen gave the eldest Lahote a look that told him that he did not believe him.

Josiah and his mother went to the hospital's pharmacy to pick up his mother's pills along with some sleeping pills that Doctor Cullen had prescribed him as well ― the soldier was not complaining tho.

"Are you having trouble sleeping Josiah?" He knew the question would come up eventually, but he had hoped it wouldn't come up while they were driving back to the reservation; because now he couldn't avoid the question.

Josiah let out a sigh. "Not now mom."

Mary Allen stared at her son with a half-hearted smile, "Josiah Eli Lahote, I am your mother and I know when something is wrong with my sons."

"Don't expect me to drop this any time soon." Josiah remained silent after his mother's comment and Mary didn't even bother to bring up the topic again.

Throughout the ride back to La Push, Mary Allen's eyes drifted on and off from her son to the window to watch the trees go by. Four years ago, when Josiah announced that he would go off and join the army, Mary had chosen to support her son's decision ― even if it scared the living daylights out of her. Not only was she afraid of her son risking his life, but she was also afraid of what going to the military would do to him mentally. Before Josiah came home, the older woman had taken the time to research the symptoms of PTSD to prepare herself for the kind of man that would be coming home. The first couple of days after her son arrived home, Mary spent her days watching her son without him noticing. And as the days went on she was able to pick up on her son's obvious changes ― she wasn't blind to see it.

The bags under his eyes were becoming more and more noticeable, making the worry bubble at the pit of her stomach. Not wanting to point it out she decided to just watch him until it became too much. But after Leah imprinted on Josiah, Mary was ecstatic; becoming hopeful that with the imprint link Josiah will think about quitting the army and coming back home.

Josiah Lahote pulled into their small driveway where he saw Liam playing with Ollie.

"Hey," Josiah and Mary stepped out of Josiah's Jeep, Mary heading straight inside and Josiah walking over to his friend.

"Hey." Josiah sighed.

"You okay?" Liam asked, noticing the distant look on his friend's face.

"Just fine," Josiah avoided making eye contact with Liam and instead continued to play with the growing puppy in front of him.