Chapter 2: "Don't defend him."

This chapter has been long overdue. But it's finally here!

Excuse the mistakes. Enjoy!
______________________________
Once the bell that notified us when to go home finally rang, I quickly gathered my things and headed out for the front doors of the building. I may have had to force myself past some people, but I finally managed to get outside. Today was not the best. Not only was I late, but I spent the whole school day doing nothing. Literally.

I was so late to school, I missed my homeroom class. And the teachers at my school don't like their students missing homeroom. But hey what can I say, it wasn't my fault I was late. I reached the bottom of the school's steps when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey Cass." I turned around to see my best friend calling my name from the top of the steps.

Not wanting to go back there, I instead walked slower than usual and kept my head down. I figured he would run to me.

"Cassie?" He spoke. "I was calling you." He said gasping for air.

"I know." I muttered looking up at him and then continuing on my way. Chris saw me walking and joined me.

"I haven't seen you all day?" He circled around to stand on the opposite side. "Did Cassie finally mange friends?" He teased in a baby voice whilst poking me in the arm.

"Can you not?" I said annoyingly slapping his hands out of the way. "I'm not in the mood." I sighed walking faster.

Being the protective person he is, I suspect that Chris is going to be worried with the way I'm acting.

"Hey." Chris called stepping in front of me. "What happened?" He said in a serious tone that demanded for an immediate answer. "Jocks? Mean girls? Did someone hurt you?" He interrogated. Oh Chris, such a protective best friend.

"D. None of the above." I said sarcastically treating his questions like a multiple question. I thought he would've found it funny, but instead he just gave me the 'you-better-spill-it' look.
"Ok fine." I surrendered. "I was in detention the whole school day. That's why you didn't see me." I answered walking pass him.

"You were in detention? What for?" He asked catching up next to me.

"I was late, missed homeroom and Mr. Petersen got mad." I answered.

Chris just laughed at how dumb the reason was. "Why were you even late?" He asked in between laughs.

When he finally stopped laughing I answered, "Because Cody put ice in the coffee machine, which made Lorraine's coffee cold. She got so mad that she even dumped her cold coffee on me. So I had to retake my shower and then walk to school." I complained.

"Your brother is such a jerk. I just want to punch him in the face." Chris said in an angry voice.

"Foster brother." I corrected.

I don't care if we live in the same house, I will never think of Cody as my brother. The only person I considered family was Megan, she was always nice to me growing up.

"Whatever." He muttered. I noticed his fists slowly loosening.

"Anyway, how's your mom?" I asked, changing the subject.

"The same. Says she'll change, but doesn't." He said nonchalantly.

Chris and I have been friends for as long as I remember. Our parents used be good friends. But ever since my patents died, Chris's parents have gotten a divorce and a, couple years ago, his mom had gotten remarried. But the man she married isn't a good person according to Chris. He is an alcoholic who apparently married Chris's mom for the money. And now Chris's mom is a drug addict who barely even notices that Chris is around. Chris's father has, tried to get custody of him, but Chris wanted to stay to protect his mom, in case, anything bad happens to her.