"I was so scared back there, Lucas. I could have sworn I saw his face -"

Lucas touched her hand gently. "I should have announced myself. It was wrong for me to sneak up on you like that."

"I still have nightmares, you know," she continued. "Sometimes I pretend that I'm this strong woman who can take over the world, who can guide other women along the path to independence, yet here I am, just -"

"You are," Lucas said. "You are a very strong woman, Alexa."

"Do you get nightmares, Lucas?" Alexa asked, searching his face as Lucas looked away. After a few moments, he turned to face her, nodding.

"Every night," he replied. He ran his hand across his hair before rubbing his face absently. "Eight years don't disappear overnight."

Lucas drew closer to her, bringing his arm across her shoulders as Alexa straightened her legs in front of her and leaned against him. "Do you ever wish you could punish someone? Anyone? Make them pay for what they'd done to you?"

"Every day," Lucas replied. His thoughts returned to Arkady Kachimov and the limitless extent of the man's treachery, teasing him all those years while he was in prison about letting him go if only he'd spy for them, only to find out that he'd turned Elizabeta anyway, using Lucas as leverage.

He looked at Alexa, her face troubled, as if she were back in that dark place again after so long. The office incident had somehow set her off, opened an artery that now seemed to be bleeding again. She looked so haunted.

"Lucas, I..."

Lucas tilted her head up towards him, his lips gentle upon hers, silencing her as he kissed her. The feel of her lips was intoxicating and as she responded, he drew her closer to him. He kissed her softly, teasing her with gentle kisses, nibbling on her lower lip as Alexa groaned, her belly tightening.

His tongue teased her lips and she drew closer, yearning for more. For a few minutes they kissed, and when Lucas captured her tongue, sucking it gently, Alexa found herself breathless. His fingers played along the skin of the back of her neck, giving her goosebumps, and Alexa found herself impatient to get him out of his clothes.

Suddenly she pulled away and Lucas looked at her, frowning.

Alexa was out of breath, her lips tingling where he'd sucked them playfully. Without saying a word, she led him upstairs, down the hallway, and into her bedroom, with its crisp white sheets and down-filled pillows. Sitting him down on the edge of the bed, she undressed in front of him, a slow precise series of movements that in the absence of the sexual tension that rose between them, would have been just someone undressing before a mirror.

Instead, Lucas found himself watching her every move. From the slow unbuttoning of her blouse, the deliberate lift of her shoulder to let the fabric fall away from her torso, to the unzipping of her skirt, he watched her, mesmerized. His breathing quickened and in the silence between them, it filled the air.

Then she stood before him with only her bra and panties, turning so that her back faced him, her hair covering the vision of Kali on her back. Lucas suppressed the groan from his throat as he slowly unhooked her lace bra, watching her move her shoulder up and then down to let the straps fall off her shoulders. The lacy undergarment whispered all the way to the floor to her feet, as if in slow motion.

Lucas hooked his fingers along the top of her panties and with a sigh that brought his warm breath upon the small of her back, he slid them down, off her hips, his fingers burning a pathway down her thighs as he let the last of her underthings fall silently onto the carpet.