Chapter 16. The Cabin

Kat's POV

I shoved him away and stared at him in disbelief. "Are you serious?" I asked and arched an eyebrow. I pushed him away and dove under the water. I could hear him call my name, but I ignored him. I forced myself to swim faster, kicking my legs and moving my arms. 

When I was to the edge of the pool, I swam up. I took a deep breath from the lack of oxygen. I grabbed a towel off one of the chairs and wrapped it tightly around me. I turned and looked back at him. 

Lu was staring after me. "Kat!" He called for me.

I spun around and dashed out of the pool room. I headed up the broad staircase and back to our room. Jenna and Lyric were already in bed. I grabbed some clothes from my bag and walked into the bathroom. I turned the water of the shower on and stripped out of my bikini. I stepped into the water and shivered at the warmth. 

After I was sure I was mostly chlorine-free, I stepped back out of the shower and dried off. I pulled the tank top over myself and pulled my shorts up. When I was in my pajamas, I walked out of the bathroom. Ariel was asleep in the playpen. Lu was already in bed. I crept over and pulled the blanket over. I pulled the blanket over me and stayed near the edge of the bed. 

The memory of the kiss in the pool swirled around my mind. Is he messing with me? He is the one who said it wasn't a good idea. The thoughts swam around my mind endlessly. I squeezed my eyes shut as if that would make me sleep. I started tossing and turning. It's going to be a long night.

***

The next morning I heard someone say, "Lu."

I wasn't sure if what I was hearing was real. I groaned and rolled over.

"Go away," Lu muttered. His voice was thick with sleep. Lu rolled over and wrapped his arm tightly around my waist. His chest pressed against my back. 

I was almost sure I was dreaming. I scooted further back against his chest. 

"Lu. Come on, man. You know if Carey comes in here she'll have a fit that you and Kat are in the same bed."

"Alright, I'm up," Lu growled. 

My eyes fluttered open, and I realized it wasn't a dream. Lu rolled away from me and out of bed. I peeked under my hair, and he stood near the end of the bed. He was just in a pair of shorts. I sighed and threw the blanket over my head. After the dream, I had that was the last thing I needed to see. 

Somehow I slipped back into unconsciousness until I heard my name. 

"Come on, kitty-kat. It's time to hit the road," Lu said near my ear. 

I groaned and rolled over. I blinked several times until the fuzziness went away. I looked up at him through squinted eyes. "Hmm?"

"Everyone is ready to go. I already got your bag in the truck. Come on, let's go," he said softly.

"You took it all out? Why didn't you wake me sooner, Lu?" I asked in irritation. That meant I didn't have time to brush my teeth, hair, or change clothes.

"You didn't sleep well last night. Figured you could use a little extra sleep..." he trailed off. "I left a shirt and pair of jeans on the counter for you. I left your hairbrush and toothbrush in there too," he said.

Wow, that was thoughtful. "Thanks," I murmured. 

"You're welcome, now hurry up," he said.

I threw the blanket off and got out of bed. I went into the bathroom and brushed through my tangled hair. I got dressed and brushed my teeth last. When I came out, Lu was holding Ariel's car seat.