“Do you hear that?” I whisper, staying perfectly still. Isaac shakes his head, but he extends his claws and canines while I do the same.

            A figure steps out from behind a tree, and I lunge, slicing my claws across their thigh and then leaving them poised across their throat, ready to kill in an instant. They squirm, and I sink my other land into their lower back, satisfied when they let out a low moan.

            Then, I recognize the smell and I quickly let go, my eyes going wide.

            He presses a hand against his thigh, applying pressure while the crimson flows between his fingers. It’s Jake, one of the only members of the alpha pack that has always protected me from the ones that thought it was their job to protect me. In other words, he’s pretty much my best friend.

            “Aubrey, what the hell?” He curses and grits his teeth, raising an eyebrow at me.

            I smile, and I cover my mouth to refrain from laughing. I throw myself at him, hugging him. He winces and I let go, making a sympathetic face. “Sorry, I just didn’t know it was you.”

            He shakes his head, making a motion that he forgives me. I haven’t seen him in a few weeks, because he stayed behind in Arizona with the rest of the pack while we moved here. He looks the same, with his spiked blonde hair and liquid blue eyes, but he looks much older. Maybe it’s the dark circles under his eyes.

            He lets go of his wound. I can see that it’s healed completely already, which I still find a miracle. While I have a slow healing process, he has a rapid one. He glares over at Isaac and says, “Who is this?”

            “His name’s Isaac.” I look down at the ground. “He was coming with me to the pack house.”

            Jake’s eyes widen and he grabs my arm gently. “Can I talk to you for a minute?” I nod.

            Isaac looks like he’s about to object, but I shoot him a look and he stands silently while Jake leads me around the trees and stares down at me.

            “Roxanne told me that you’re gone. She’s furious at the guards, because they weren’t doing their job last night. Please tell me you’re coming back to stay.” His eyes plead with me and I look away― I’ve always crumbled under his gaze.

            I shake my head slowly. “No, I’m not. I need to get my stuff and then I’m gone.” I play with the string of my hoodie.

            “But you’re coming back, right?”

            I nod, wishing that I didn’t but knowing that I don’t have a choice in the decision. “Of course, but maybe not for a while. I just need a… break.”

            He grabs my shoulders. “Aubrey, you don’t get a break! You’re the descendant, and you turn sixteen in three weeks. This isn’t the time to explore the world!”

            I shove him away from me, angry. “Of course you would say that! You’ve actually been free all of your life. This is the first time that I actually get to be free, Jake!” Tears have sprung in my eyes and I quickly wipe them away.

            His voice is quiet. “I’m sorry. I know life hasn’t been fair to you.” I look him in the eyes again, and he pulls me into a hug. I bury my face in his chest while he says, “Please don’t tell me that you’re in love with that Isaac guy.”

            I laugh slightly. “You know I wouldn’t. And besides, I can’t because I’m already engaged to Paul.”

            I say his name with distaste, because I sincerely hate him, and not just because I have to be married to him in a few weeks. No, he’s a power hungry alpha that’s obsessed with ruling the world by using my power as the descendant. And I have to get married to the jerk.

            Jake nods, understanding. “As long as you understand the rules.”

            I lean back, stepping out of his arms. “Can you do me a favor, Jake?”

            He smiles. “Of course.”

            I bite my lip. “Can you get my clothes for me and bring them here? Oh, and my poems and my guitar, if you can? I’ll be gone for a week, but I promise I’ll come back.”

            He grabs my arm. “They aren’t holding you against your will, right?”

            I shake my head, covering up part of a lie. “No, they’re not. I just… need to stay with them for the week.” I rock back and forth on my heels, remembering Peter’s compromise. “Do you have any idea why we came to Beacon Hills?”

            He makes a face and says, “No, why?”

            I give him a smile, which I hope reaches my eyes. “No reason. But if you find out, let me know, okay?”

            He nods and starts to turn around to go back to the pack house, but I call out, “And Jake, no one knows I’m here, alright?”

            He locks his eyes with mine and runs off, leaving me to walk back to Isaac. He doesn’t ask any questions, because he probably heard the whole thing, thanks to his wolf senses. Without saying anything, we head back to the Hale house.

            As the sun fades into the darkness, I hear Jake howl from the opposite direction, conveying that he was alone in the woods.