Twenty-Two

A/N: Because I'll be sharing some news with you guys in the not-so-distant future, I created a Tumblr page! Just click on the "external link" over on the side there and it'll send you right to it!

As always, VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. ENJOY. Love ya!

                                                        Chapter Twenty-Two

                                                                • Aubrey •

The world is a blur of black and white, fading in and out. In my few moments of focus, when the pain is dulled, I see flashes of faces― Jake, Ben, Roxanne. Other members of the alpha pack that are nameless to me. Nothing calms me though, or brings me back fully. In the limbo between being awake and asleep, I see liquid brown eyes.

            Stiles, laughing at something Scott said. Stiles, pressing his shirt against my injured head, trying to stop the blood flow. Stiles, looking up through his long lashes as he tells me the story of the girl who couldn’t remember and the boy who couldn’t forget. Stiles, confessing his feelings in the clinic, his lips soft on mine. Stiles, the boy I just met. Stiles, the boy I’m in love with.

            He swims across my vision, a pleasant dream you try to desperately hold onto. His eyes are followed by something green and scaly― something dark.

            The kanima.

            You can never actually hold onto a dream. At some point, you’re going to have to wake up and watch the loveliness bleed through your fingers; sink away to something you can never retrieve. Stiles is my dream, and I won’t let him leave me so easily.

            Horror enfolds in front of me, through the eyes of the monster I (somewhat) control. Stiles is getting closer and closer, pulse pounding in his throat. I scream for him to run in my mind, but he’s frozen.

            I have to do something. I can’t just stay here.

            But how to release myself from this drug induced sleep? It’s almost like being paralyzed, like when the kanima sliced its finger across my throat… But even when I was paralyzed, I could shift. Wincing, I dig my fingers into my thigh, triggering the shift. Claws snap out― the wolfsbane injection worked― and pierce my skin, drawing blood. The sharp, small pain is just enough to force me awake, even if everything I see has multiplied.

            Jake sits in the chair next to the bed, hands folded in his lap. I struggle to sit upright, trying not to look at Jake’s four heads. He tries to gently shove me back down, but I slap his hands away, growling at him― it shocks him since I never snap at him or snarl or anything; he’s my best friend. Stumbling from my room, I wobble down the stairs, feeling so dizzy that I’m going to be sick.

            “Bree,” Jake calls after me, easily coming around to block my path. “What the hell are you doing? You need to get back in bed!”

            I shake my head, the ground rumbling beneath my feet. Every second I waste is another second closer to Stiles… I don’t want to think about it. “Get out of my way. Not that you’ve ever listened to me before, but I need to get to Stiles. I don’t want to, but I’m fully prepared to fight you if you try to stop me.”

            He doesn’t step to the side, but his features cloud over. “Aubrey, Stiles left. He’s not here anymore.”

            Pushing past him, I struggle down the last few stairs, unlocking the front door and throwing it open. Sure enough, Stiles is standing right in front of his Jeep, the kanima only feet away.