Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

                                                            • Aubrey •

The Hale house feels as if it was never on fire at all. The penetrating blackness is cold, sinking down to brush my soul with icy fingers. It’s late at night― not quite midnight, but close. I waited for Stiles to fall asleep before I left him, sneaking out the window and burning his image into my mind. I also changed back into jeans and his t-shirt, the fabric clinging to his scent.

            The door swings open, the alpha pack symbol still painted on the door. So that will be the last thing I see. No matter what I do, I’m still tied to them. All roads lead back home.

            The house is a silent, wooden grave. Only a few lights are on, enough to illuminate the shadows of furniture and Peter’s silhouette. His voice sends a chill down my spine. “I see you’ve decided to grace us with your presence.”

            When I speak, my voice is bitter and laced with hatred. “I didn’t have a choice, did I? It was either I come to you or you come to me. I figured this was the more peaceful option.”

            He laughs, clasping his hands together in front of him. “You really are very clever, my dear. Enough to escape me and escape your pack― twice. I really wish I didn’t have to kill you. You have a lot to live for.”

            Unconsciously, I start to back up. “If you don’t want to kill me, then don’t.”

            Peter laughs again, making the hairs on the back of my neck raise. “Oh, I never said that I didn’t want to kill you, dear. Killing you will only make me stronger. Imagine this: the alpha that slit the descendant’s throat. I’ll be revered by all.”

            “Murdering me won’t get you that.” The words keep flowing, knowing that the longer I keep talking is a longer time I’ll remain alive. “Murdering me won’t make you anything.”

            He laughs again and circles me slowly, my body tensing up. “You know, I already had everything planned out before I met you. When Derek brought you here, that was merely the cherry on top. Your timing was impeccable. You were the final puzzle piece.”

            I’m completely still. “What are you talking about?”

            “I knew Roxanne’s plans long before you escaped; I was the one that convinced her to bring the pack to Beacon Hills. I knew everything about her plan, except I didn’t know why she needed you.” He stands behind me, claws grazing the back of my neck lightly and tangling in my hair. “That head alpha of yours is quite brilliant, I must say. Her plans surprised me, and I’m not easily surprised. Tricking her entire pack; why didn’t I think of that?”

            Catching my blank stare, he continues, “Oh, did she not tell you? Better that you not know, really. We don’t want you to die in agony, now, do we?” He presses his lips to my neck, fangs nipping at the skin. I shiver, hating his touch. “I had a visitor earlier today― that human that you love so much. He told me that he knew the reason the alpha pack came to Beacon Hills. Do you want to know what it was? You.”

            “Me? Why would they come here because of me?”

            “My dear, Roxanne needs you to complete her plan. And that’s why I have to kill you.”