Chapter 15. How Is That Hangover?

Start from the beginning

Why the hell would Lu want me there? We had barely spoken the last couple of weeks. 

***

Jenna had texted me and told me that her and Lyric have been seeing each other and she agreed to go up north with him. Jenna asked me if I was going. I asked my grandma and she told me she thought it was a good idea for me to go because she would be working. My grandma worked in advertisement. 

When eight o'clock rolled around Lu came in the door. "Hey," he said. He looked dead on his feet. 

"Do you sleep?" I muttered.

"Not much."

"I'll be back. I have to go home quick."

"For what?" 

"Carey asked me to go on that trip up north. Jenna said she was going too with Lyric. My grandma said I could go. I think Maddie would be mad if I said no..." I trailed off. "I have to grab clothes and stuff."

"Right, okay," he said and shrugged. He headed off to the kitchen as I headed for the front door. 

I never told anyone about the kiss with Lu. I'm kind of glad I didn't because it wasn't like it went anywhere. My grandma was still at work; the house was dark. I left the car running because I knew I wouldn't take long. I bolted up to the front door and used the key to let myself in. Once inside I ran up the steps and to my room. 

I grabbed the duffel bag out from under my bed. I looked around my closet and dresser for warmer clothes. I didn't have a lot but it was enough. California wasn't that cold. I didn't have a winter jacket but I had enough money to buy one, even though I would only use it this once. When I was packed up I headed back to my car. 

When I got inside the downstairs was dimly lit. The light above the stove in the kitchen gave off some light but not much and you could see it from the living room. The living room had one light on. I headed upstairs. The hall was dark apart from Lu's light being on and it shined slightly through his half open door. I could hear music but it didn't sound like it was coming from a stereo. I dropped the duffel bag at the guest bedroom door. 

I didn't mean to spy but I was curious. I slowly walked toward his door. I pushed his door open and stood in the frame of the door. He had a guitar in his hands and he was singing. I didn't even know Lu could sing or play guitar. 

My lips parted in shock and I swallow hard. He moved his fingers so fluently. It was as if he always knew how to play. The song was sort of sweet, which wasn't the type of song you would expect Lu to play. 

Lu wasn't looking this way, so it was safe to marvel at him. Ariel was on the bed in front of him staring up at him in wonder and biting down on her teething ring. Lu smiled at her as she smiled at him.

I turned away from his door and headed quickly back to the guest room. I had no right to be watching him like that. I grabbed the bag and went into the bedroom. I shut the door as quiet as I could. I turned the lamp on beside the bed. I grabbed the remote and turned the TV on. 

After about twenty minutes I heard a knock on the door. I muted the TV. "Come in," I called. 

Lu opened the door and leaned against the doorframe. His hair was wet and he was just in a pair of shorts. Water droplets fell from his hair and rolled down his chest. "Is your stuff ready?" 

"Uh, yeah?" I arched a brow.

"I'm going to go put it in my truck. That way it's less to do in the morning," he said.

"How early are we getting up?" I asked.

"We want to leave here at five in the morning. We are probably going to stop at a hotel halfway. It takes about twenty hours to get to Montana," he said.