Epilogue

Olivia’s bike ran over the stone street. She looked over at Alex. Her blonde hair had grown longer then. The cold air pressed on against Olivia’s golden skin. They soon came to the bridge and Alex slowed. Olivia did too, and they coasted to a stop. Alex put the kickstand to the stones and so did Olivia. She hopped off her bike and ran to the edge of the bridge.

            Alex wore a long, black coat that wrapped around her body and buttoned in the front. She had added a purple scarf and wore tall, black boots. Olivia had a puffy, shorter blue coat and a white scarf. She wore a white knit hat on her head. The cold had nipped at Alex’s pale face and turned her cheeks red. Olivia didn’t get cold as easily as she knew Alex did; she smiled at this. She walked over to her and stood still, silent before the barely-moving water below.

            It was night then. Olivia found solace in the darkness now. It no longer held a distraction from crime; it wasn’t the time when she would be dragged out of her house and to another crime scene. Now, it held mystery and was the pinpoint of exciting events.

            “I always wanted to see Amsterdam like this.” Alex said quietly, her eyes scanning over everything it had to offer.

            Olivia turned and put her hands on Alex’s cold skin. Her fingers danced along Alex’s prominent jaw line. The city lights were reflected on Olivia’s finger, and Alex noticed this. She caught Olivia’s hand in her own and ran her fingertips over the diamond on her left hand. She gave a joyful half smile and wrapped her arms around Olivia’s waist.

            Alex had taken a few vacation days to be here. She was now trying homicides for the Pasadena Police Department in California. Olivia had just taken a job training new recruits in the Los Angeles Police Department Training Division, and she was to begin instructing in the spring.

            The atmosphere of this beautiful place cut Alex deep, deep into her soul. She had never known what it was like to risk everything for a change, until now.

            Olivia gazed directly into Alex’s eyes, as if reading her mind.

            Alex stepped forward and softly pressed her mouth on Olivia’s. Olivia smiled against Alex’s touch.

            Alex tipped her head back slightly and whispered against Olivia’s lips. “Here’s to starting over.”

THE END